Baby milk powder

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by honeypie 16 yrs ago
Are the milk powder safe? What do you give to your kids? My boy is taking Enfagrow by Mead Johnson, haven't read anything about it so hopefully it's safe.

It's so scary what to eat, esp for kids' food. I avoid anything from China...but can't help it with toys, almost all are made in China.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
smcm77 16 yrs ago
We give our child organic goat's milk from Germany- I think they have tougher quality control standards in Europe. We also avoid buying toys (and everything else!) that are made in China, some of the toys that they sell in Bumps to Babes are made in Europe, a bit on the expensive side but at least you'll know it won't contain anything that can harm your child!

funbobby 16 yrs ago
Mead Johnson is a Canadian company. I doubt you would need to be concerned. We use Abbot Gain Advance, made in Ireland for a US company. Just check your can label. If it's made in China, avoid it.

neenib 16 yrs ago
We use Karihome Goat Milk Formula which you can buy here. It is a NZ brand and they have assured us that they have absolutely no link whatsoever to the company in China.

pixelate 16 yrs ago
Just be aware that if you use powder be sure to prepare it properly. The water isn't boiled because the water is not safe. It is boiled because the powder is not sterile.

Boil the water and allow to cool for 30 mins ( to 70 degrees C) and then make up the bottle, cool it before feeding.

Pix IBCLC

AKKY 16 yrs ago
i was looking at a pack of PURA milk the other day at Park N shop and saw it came from china!!! so shocking! I though it was made in Australia!

forsaf 16 yrs ago
Not sure what PURA you were looking at but the two I have are both manufactured in Australia and that's why I don't buy any other brand.

AKKY 16 yrs ago
I was looking at those PURA UHT? milk, the ones that don't need to be put on the fridge side of the shop.

Babeez 16 yrs ago
My baby is drinking Nestle and the can says 'manufactured in Germany'. Does that mean that is where it was made or was it packed elsewhere? Anyone know?

VirginieL 16 yrs ago
Wellcome and Park'N'Shop have decided to take off their shops in HK some milk powder manufactured in China for Nestle. Maybe it's good to check where it comes from...

Z 16 yrs ago
we're on the mainland, and have a can of enfamil powder that was made in guangzhou, but when we contacted the manufacturer they replied "I want to assure you that all Mead Johnson products are safe to feed to your child and we are confident that none of the ingredients in Mead Johnson products have been contaminated with melamine. Mead Johnson does not purchase dairy or protein ingredients that have been sourced in China. Our manufacturing plant in China imports dairy and protein raw ingredients from Europe, New Zealand, Australia, and the U.S. Only China-sourced dairy and protein ingredients have been found to be contaminated with melamine"

just fyi.

cd 16 yrs ago
Our local welcome has taken all UHT milk off the shelves apart from their own First Choice brand (from NZ) and Vita.

ishigawa 16 yrs ago
I know its pretty scary and have been thinking.. what about " organic baby nat" i get it fm bumps to babes...assuming it should be safe..any thought on this...

flowers-daffodil 16 yrs ago
please look at the link below from Centre of Food Safety. They list milk products where Melamine was NOT detected. Please read the title slowly as there is a list which is for products detected with Melamine (and it doesnt include infant formula - it is UHT dairy farm milk).

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsnew/whatsnew_fstr/whatsnew_fstr_Test_results_of_dairy_product_samples.html

Hope the above will relieve some of your fears.

I also note from a comment earlier that UHT PURA milk was made in China. But I checked my UHT PURA pack and the english doesnt say that but I cant read what the chinese characters say i assume it should say what the english says!

smsm 16 yrs ago
just went thru the above site and got a bit confused...

i found enfamil stage 1 and 2 in the list of melamine NOT FOUND but no mention of stage 3. I have just moved my lo from Neslac 1+ to Enfapro Stage 3 so do I assume that its contaminated...

all this is so unsettling..am anyway freaked out that they found adulteration in Neslac 1+ which my lo was having and now getting doubts of the replacement too..

honeypie 16 yrs ago
Hi smsm,

I read a report that Enfagrow, that is the stage 3 is safe. I'm just in a hurry now, i'll give you the link tomorrow if you are interested.

flowers-daffodil 16 yrs ago
hi smsm - the list is probably not complete as they are doing tests.

I went through the list and it said that Nestle NESLAC 1+ was NOT FOUND to be contaminated with melamine. The list dd. 21.9.08

cd 16 yrs ago
phew, thanks for the link, the 2 brands I normally buy were on the 'not' detected list.

ishigawa 16 yrs ago
thanks for the link daffodil..

bh2003 16 yrs ago
Take great care. Maybe call to the manufacture because some of the multi nationals which claim the powder is made in Europe/USA actually do have further operations in China.

jaredada 16 yrs ago
My 2-year-old drinks Pura UHT and Fresh milk. But the UHT packaging says it's from New Zealand, I called the distributor here in HK and they assure me that their milk is straight from New Zealand or Australia. Can you till ne where do you find the Pura UHT says it's from China? I am very concern as my baby drinks like a liter of Pura a day. I tried the organic valley milk from Welcome but he won't drink it. Thanks all for your help!!!

smsm 16 yrs ago
Hi, actually found Enfagrow 3 in the list under other Milk powder ..i guess its not under Infant milk powder since its for 1 yr plus ( which means they are not infants anymore) ...so relieved..

thanks flowder daffodil for providing the link...

swing 16 yrs ago
Hi! Thanks so much for the links. I feel much better knowing my kids are safe from the tainted baby formula.

Germaine WS 16 yrs ago
does anyone knows about Kraft products and the soft cheese by Laughing Cow?Thanks

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
i am not sure the list is full now - there is information now going around about things like snickers bars, M&Ms, quite a few wall's icecreams and other products.. so basically ANYTHING made in china with dairy products in it - I would just stay away!

Shweta Khanna 16 yrs ago
Have recently been thinking that as this problem is going on, everyone in HK and many people from have been buying more to keep a buffer in case of a shortage. But this has really worried me becuase in such cases where the demand is so high, we may get duplicate stuff easily.

So we need to be more careful as to where we buy the formula from. I was buying it from a pharmacy shop close to my house as the price diffference was huge, but since this problem has started, we have been particular to buy it from mannings or watsons only.

So wherever you buy it from, be sure that the shop carries original stuff.

shaaznarak 16 yrs ago
I am using Similac Advance 1 which is made in Spain .......anyone using it ?? I'm trusting this is safe coz manufactured in spain. does anyone have a website to go through the list of milk powder which are off the shelf and are under testing ! thanks all

Paneristi 16 yrs ago
Has anyone got any more information about these products- My 3 and 1 yr old have been using these products ongoing. Should I have the kids checked out >?

Thanks

Concerned Mum...see below

Nestle Milk Powder Off The Shelf In Hong Kong

September 24, 2008

According to the latest from Sing Tao News, two of Hong Kong's main retail chains, Mannings and Wellcome, have removed milk powder made by Swiss food giant Nestle from their shelves after a newspaper reported that samples contained the industrial chemical melamine.

The test was commissioned by Hong Kong's Apple Daily and the result showed that the Nestle's 900 gram-package of Neslac Gold Growing Up 1+ milk powder made in Heilongjiang was contaminated with melamine. Mannings and Wellcome have stopped selling all six Nestle milk powder products produced in this location.

The six products are Neslac Gold Growing Up 1+ milk powder, thew 900 gram-pack of Neslac Gold Growing Up 3+ milk powder, the 900 gram-pack Nespray 1+ milk powder, the 900 gram-pack of Nespray 3+ milk powder, the 900 gram-pack of Nespray 6+ milk powder, and the 1,800 gram-pack of Nestle instant milk powder.

A spokesperson from Wellcome said that although the test results are not official, the supermarket chain had still decided to stop selling these products to be on the safe side. Customers who had bought these Nestle milk powder products could demand a refund in any of their stores.

At the same time, Mannings said that they were consulting with the manufacturer on this issue and that customers who had bought these Nestle milk powder products could demand a refund with the receipt in any of their chain stores whether the package was unopened or not.

Officials at Nestle's Hong Kong office were not available for comment.

Hong Kong's Food and Environmental Hygiene Department has set up a special hotline for the milk powder problem and so far, it received 67 reports that are related to this issue. Of these reports, 39 said their children had been fed with tainted milk powder and four reported symptoms.

smsm 16 yrs ago
My younger one was taking Nestle 1+ from last 3 mths and I did get her checked out for my peace of mind. If your kids are taking these for a long period of time, I think it would be worthwhile to get them checked up.

yan88 16 yrs ago
We used to use Karihome for our 8.5 months old baby boy since he was 5 months as an add in to BF, till about 20 days ago, he is a very healthy baby. The reason i decided to change to Nestle's Nan ha 2 as he was a bit constipated.

After i changed to Nestle's Nan Ha 2, he makes 2 some times 3 poos per day, is it normal? any one else have the similar experience ? please to hear.

alcheng 16 yrs ago
Mine used to take Wyeth S-26 Gold (made in Ireland) and then we switched to Meiji (Japanese made). Luckily for us none of these were made in China!

ArtHK 16 yrs ago
My concern is that the tests they run now do not warrant that no melamine was present in the products we bought in the past, maybe the batch the are testing now is ok but what about the batch I used in December?.

It is clear that the system the companies have for assuring the quality is not good and that using internationally known brands is no warranty, I guess the only way to be sure is to have a check up.

Sukhbir 16 yrs ago
hi Goldx. I am feeding my son with Friso 2 now....That does not have a problem now...

Pie Pie Pig 16 yrs ago
I hate to say this, but I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. My sister in Canada phoned the Nestle hotline and was reassured that the milk powder there did not contain melamine. After much questioning by my sister, the woman on the hotline admitted that micro nutrients contained in the milk powder were from China and unfortunately every milk powder company in the world uses micro nutrients from China. Let's pray the "micro nutrients" (whatever that means) are safe but god knows what will turn up if they test the micro nutrients!

I don't even dare order pancakes from McDonald's now. Everything that contains dry milk powder is suspect.

smsm 16 yrs ago
Hi both these brands have been tested by center for health safety hk and has been found safe from melamine. the results are available on their site.

buddhafun 16 yrs ago
Hi Tinguz123

Your 2 year old doesn't need formula at this stage. My pediatrician in the US says that cow's milk is infinitely preferable to formula at age 1. Formula has a lot of artificial ingredients and sugar--the order this doc listed, if possible was breast milk, cow's milk, water...getting of course, calcium from other food items.

Karlton 13 yrs ago
Hi,

I'm studying at the City University of Hong Kong and my group and I are doing a marketing project on a new baby powder product called Sunlife. The project entails us conducting a survey in order to acquire some information on peoples preferences and thoughts when it comes to baby powder products so I thought this would probably be the best place to ask around.

It would be highly appreciated if you took the time to complete the survey, it should only take a couple of minutes. You can access it via the link below:

http://cityucb.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_54G1PZr59AWBC60

Thanks a lot!

Karl

Yolilau 10 yrs ago
Is this still happening in HK?

I got a few free samples from places after going to BB talks

CC 10 yrs ago
I've switched to Illuma by Wyeth. Quite costly at hkd499 per tin.

its the most expensive in the market and it is the best. My 3 mth old baby loves it. read the details from the Illuma website to learn more.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad