Need work place for school project

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Champei 11 yrs ago
Hi,

My son is in year 11 in international school. Now school require all year 11 to do some work in any companies/ places for a short while just to let them learn about work experience before they apply for Uni. The school does not allow them to work with parent or relative.

If anyone can offer a place I am very appreciated!

Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
carynbanker51 11 yrs ago
What school does your son go to, if you don't mind my asking? Does it matter if the work experience is something 'small', (like being a waiter in a restaurant, working for a messenger service...)? Can it be entrepreneurial/self employed, like dog-walking/bathing, personal computer troubleshooting, (a big hole in the market with that one!)....? Can it be volunteer/unpaid, like working for the SPCA?

I don't have a company to offer your son a place, but I think the school has a brilliant idea in this! It would have to be something part-time for him to complete his studies, right? If you find something, I'd like to know what it is. I'd love for my kids to do this in a few years too.

AaliyahM 11 yrs ago
I did this when I was in Australia, in Year 10. Basically, your son will apply to a job that he is interested in. So if your son is thinking accounting for university, he will apply to an accounting firm. If he is thinking medicine, he'd apply for work experience at a hospital.medical clinic. If it's manufacturing, he'd apply there. And if it's teaching English, he'd apply to a school.

Champei, I would ask your son what field he is interested in first, and then write to a few companies to ask if they are interested.

I believe I did it twice - once at a medical clinic where I was given a job as a receptionist (but I could watch the doctor/nurses apply dressing to wounds and give out injections/drawing blood if the patients agreed but that only happened 4 times within that week) and another work experience I did was in accounting where I did nothing but photocopying and filing all week (much to my dismay) but I did get to help enter data into the accounting system (but only a few entries) and got to sit in when the directors had staff meetings/meetings with customers.

I actually got hired by the medical clinic I was doing the reception work for. I would go there after school and would work from 4pm-10pm (1-2 times a week) but only for a short time.

carynbanker51 11 yrs ago
So, it's more like a bridge - apprenticeship/internship to his specified field of interest? Not just real work/life experience?

Champei 11 yrs ago
Thanks you all for your replied!

carynbanker51, my son is studying in ESF international school.

AaliyahM, you are right. he suppose to do the job that related to his interest for his university study. He want to study architecture but I don't know if we can find any place like that for him to do his one week working experience. So no mater what he have to do this to fulfilled the school requirement.

If anyone got the place related to architecture on offer we are very appreciated!

He just need the place to work/learn to work for one week during may(school did not say exact date yet), without paying. He's good at drawing and is good with Macs, illustrator, basic 3D design etc.

Thanks for any offer!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad