HK Specific topics

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Xshoequeen 11 yrs ago
Hi, I would appreciate if anyone out there will enlighten me with how to discuss with children about helpers and the bubbly items we see every day in Hong Kong.

Our 4 year old and 2.5 year old have asked us the following on our recent travel in Tokyo.

- why are there no nannies(helpers)?

- where are the Ferraries and Lamboughinis?

- why is nobody taking photos of us?

All I could say was because each place has different ways which was a bit too conceptual for this age but, I have realized that these people have come to the age where they really start understanding things and I will be asked with the "why's" on our trips.

If someone has a good way of telling them, "these are very unique features of Hong Kong" in a preschooler mind, Please let me know.

Thanks!

Xshoequeen

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
LR 11 yrs ago
Japan uses the "hoikusho" system of childcare where parents can drop their kids off and leave them all day from a few months old.

Why not tell them there are no nannies because "teachers" (childcare workers) watch children while they play with their friends while Mommy or Daddy are at work. Then children get to go home with Mommy and Daddy and listen to stories, eat dinner, etc.

They're a bit young to understand issues of money, race, etc. at this point :)

About photos, you can tell them there are lots more people from other places in Tokyo than Hong Kong (it's ten percent foreigners versus five percent) so people aren't as surprised to see them; that's why they don't take pictures.

Should be enough to get them thinking!

(I lived in Japan a long time and I'm a preschool teacher)

Xshoequeen 11 yrs ago
Hi LR, thank you so so much for your input! It had never occurred to me to try it from the other angle! Now I can explain them as I do still see the ??? above their heads when they talk about their experience in Tokyo. thanks!

It was a big wake up call for us parents. We know that when we go back to our home countries, life in HK is not the norm so we are trying to make life low key as possible here but, so many things are different from the little people's eyes.

Now that I know another angle to answer the why's, more confident in tackling!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad