Enlarged Tonsils

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Slammy 11 yrs ago
Hi,

My daughter had her adenoids removed when she was two. The ENT surgeon said they were one of the biggest he had seen, and the paediatrician also commented on the size when he later saw a photo.

She's now 4.5years old and recently has developed breathing problems / sleep apnea again. She's had a dry cough which in the past 10 days has become congested, and my husband says her tonsils are huge and he wants to take them out!

I always prefer surgery as a last resort so I would like to hear from other people who've been through the same thing.

We did an allergy test when she was 2 and she was only slightly allergic to egg white. If it's not food allergy causing enlarged tonsils - what else could we do and how to treat it without resorting to surgery.

My husband have very mild asthma - ie. sometimes, like once a year, he may develop a dry cough which takes a while to go away. Can mild asthma be causing this?

We are seeing our doctor again this afternoon but would just like to hear people's opinions.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Xshoequeen 11 yrs ago
Ow, Slammy, poor you and your LO. It's so stressful to go through the tests and ops and pain for both parties, no?

The only thing I can say if not yet, i suggest giving Dr. Choy in Melbourne Plaza for a 2nd opnion. He is really good handling children's cases.

My son had enormous adenoids and tonsils that was causing him chronic ear infection. Since it started when he was young, Dr. was worried of his hearing and linguistic development so we have been seeing him for the past 1.5 years ever so often.

His symptoms were in the area of implanting gromit with full body anesthesia, which I didn't want and Dr. was also concerned so he gave us his best treatment and just prayed that LO will grow out of it.

1.5 years later, Dr.Choy was confident that with his growth, the adenoid and tonsil shape and size are the ones that will reduce in time so no need for surgery and no need for treatment anymore. ( that said the hearing tests were of his satisfaction)

Also, I know this is a tough decision to make knowing that ur LO has ENT conditions but, swimming helped a lot to clear out the nose and cough. It builds up strength and air capacity. Of course I consulted Dr. before and also found a very good private teacher to keep extra eyes on the conditions. ( I am quite tough with the kids but, this decision was a really contradictory one and was a difficult one)

Good luck to you!!!!

Slammy 11 yrs ago
Hi thanks for the suggestion of Dr Lo.

Our daughter goes swimming regularly too! Did your son ever have sleeping problems? How do you reduce the size of the tonsils?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad