A good Swimming club for children

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by euston007 10 yrs ago
Hi. We have just moved here from the UK. I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good swim club not just for learning to swim but also for competition training. My daughter was getting county times in Notts and I would like her to continue with her training (aged 9). I've heard Stanford might be good? She had a a trial at the HK Sports Institute and was advised to join a club as they don't offer enough hours in the pool...thanks in advance!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
mw1969 10 yrs ago
Hoi tin swimming club and hilltop swimming clubAre the best choices.Both have English speaking coaches,hilltop isA little more laid back in style.They will give you a few options where to train.Avoid Morrison hill,choose wanchai training pool (Outdoor)used only by clubs or Victoria park Harry wright is popular with expat children and theyHave developed some very good swimmers.they useThe scaa in causeway bay.Stanford has spent massively on advertisingThe past 2 yrs,the 3 others gain students by Results and word of mouth,you can draw your ownConclusion.Hope this helps in some way.

euston007 10 yrs ago
Thanks for that. Heard of Stanford and was going to explore options with them. I'll take your hint! Harry wright is very good but seems quite expensive according to their website. Will look at the other two you mentioned..........

GPMom 10 yrs ago
Welcome to HK. We moved here 4 years ago with a competitive 9 year old swimmer as well. We tried Harry Wright which is quite good but was too far for use to travel. We chose the ESF Sport which is offered at several locations throughout HK and it was quite good for about 2 years. However, the competitive group at Sha Tin College dwindled so we had to explore another option. We are now starting our 2nd year with the HK Stingrays which swim out of HKIS in Tai Tam. They have a strong program like Harry Wright as well and the schedule really has worked for us and our daughter.Swimming is not cheap in HK so expect sticker shock wherever you decide to look. Let me know if you need more information.Cheers,Amy

euston007 10 yrs ago
Thanks Amy. Actually we had a trial with the sting rays the lady time we visited thinking we were going to move out to HK at that time. Met Deane the coach. Seems good but way too far for us. Inkling is with Harry Wright but as you said very expensive in HK compared to the UK anyway.....depends if we live in new territories or not.........

mw1969 10 yrs ago
If you state where you will live and how far
You are willing to travel to class it will be easier
To help you.
Harry wright targets expat/international/esf school
Kids and charges accordingly,
The local swim clubs are cheaper,but the English
Skills of some assistants is lacking.
Look on the hkasa website for past swim meets
Note where all the placed swimmers in your daughters age group train and see
If any of those are near your location or where you are willing
To travel to.
Their websites will most often be in chinese
So call and see if they fit your requirements.

euston007 10 yrs ago
Fair point...hard to say as we are in temporary accommodation. However we are looking at either tai po/fan ling maybe tai wai..........or sheung wan/north point depending on rental costs! Been to the Khalsa website and short listed a few clubs......

GPMom 10 yrs ago
Just another note about swim clubs.
If you end up in Tai Po, where we used to live, try the ESF sport. They run swim training at Sha Tin College and Renaissance College. Both fairly close by.

We moved to Sha Tin to be closer to HKIS (fancy that). I can do the drive in 30 minutes door to door. It's a bear but I've done it for a year. Public transport is not an option to get to Tai Tam.

In regards to local clubs. They produce some good swimmers. However, the kids are overtrained from my experience in witnessing their training first hand. They swim and swim and swim without working on proper form, turns and starts. Just more and more meters. Much different than training one would receive in the West.

All the best to you and your daughter!

Amy

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad