Worm Farm help info.....

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by prone_to_wander 15 yrs ago
I have heard that when worms migrate they are starving or trying to avoid a predator. Perhaps these other bugs were killing off your worms? I'd try and figure out what kind of bug was in there. Also, could the building lime your husband put in there mess up the ph balance of the soil? I wouldn't put lime in there to get rid of anything, I'd try and find a more natural way of getting rid of the pests.

Also, you can buy worms here, although they are expensive. I got mine through the Earth store in Sai Kung.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
ecowitch 13 yrs ago
Hi gasgal, I am doing compost not with worm but with micro-organism... the effect is not too bad..

add me on facebook and we discuss?

http://www.facebook.com/ecowitch

my design of home compost that is fly and odor free:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1785583993&aid=51434

Jon Nicholson 10 yrs ago
This reply is three years too late, but may help somebody else.

I suspect your problem is that the worm food is composting, causing the temperature in the worm farm to get too high. Composting food is fine in the winter, but in the summer it takes the temperature beyond what the worms can tolerate. The worms try to escape the heat by moving to the corners and will eventually try to escape the worm farm.

To test whether this is the case, put your hand deep into the worm castings and food pile and see whether it is significantly higher than the outside temperature. The surface is unlikely to be much different, you need to dig your hand deep into the organic material.

The solution is to manage the temperature of the worm farm. Firstly, modify the worm food by mixing more brown (wet coffee grounds, wet tea bags, soaked cardboard, etc) with the green (vegetable peelings, fruit skins etc). Make sure you chop any cardboard into very small pieces (easiest done after soaking the cardboard). Keep the food in daily portiuons in your freezer if possible.

Feed the worms daily by placing the day's supply of food into a different corner every day. Only place food into three of the corners, not into the middle or into the fourth corner. This leaves a cool corner for the worms to escape to. Also, because it is humid, turn the castings regularly and make sure they do not get too soggy. If you think they are getting soggy, mix some small bits of dry cardboard or coconut coir into the soggy castings.

TheodorYu 9 yrs ago
Hi Gasgal, sorry that this is coming in like 6 years late....hope youre still around. I'd love to buy a bunch of worms from you and wonder if youre interested. Please email me at theodoryu56@gmail.com. Thank you very much

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad