Autism

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by crown93 10 yrs ago
there is no cure.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sjoh6964 10 yrs ago
There are many things that can make a child with Autism's skills decline, such as a change in routine or structure. I would suggest making an appointment with a Speech Therapist and/or Occupational Therapist.

licilles 10 yrs ago
Try these learning centres for speech therapy, behavioral therapy etc..:

- Autism Recovery Network (http://autismrecovery.hk/)

- Autism Partnership (http://www.autismpartnership.com.hk/eng/services/)

- Watchdog (www.watchdog.org.hk/) - not sure if they take kids at 9 years old though

- The Springboard Project (http://www.springboardhk.org/)

Seeing as he's 9 years old, I would also consider formal schooling

- ESF Jockey Club Sarah Roe (http://www.jcsrs.edu.hk/) - usually long waiting list though

- Family Partners School (http://www.i-m.co/fpshk/fpshk/)

- Aoi Pui School (http://apschool.edu.hk/main/)

- The Harbour School (http://www.tcihk.org/ths/index.html)

activehealth 10 yrs ago
Hi Bobo36,

I have been there and done that.

My boy is going to be 10 this week, he had the same diagnosis when 2.5 years old with major speech and motor development delay.

He started Craniosacral Therapy (CST), Behavioral Therapy (ABA) & Biomedical Treatment (chelation) for 2 years.

Now he goes to ESF school (mainstream Year 5, starting Year 6 in Aug). He loves Maths and has started the secondary Maths syllabus since last summer holiday. He plays tournament chess and wins prizes, plays piano, will do Grade 5 piano exam. Has lots of friends and enjoys playing with them; speaks English (mother tongue), PTH and Cantonese (still picking up but improving). He has weekly public speaking training in English and has recently passed a public speaking exam.

I agree that there may not be a "cure" for Autism.

But it does not mean that these kids will not have happy "normal" lives like others.

activehealth 10 yrs ago
If there is a will, there is a way.

Never give up!

If you need more info, pls pm me.

Ed 10 yrs ago
that is an uplifting story :)

kylcheung124 10 yrs ago
Yes, my nephew is going to be 12 this year, got the same diagnosis when 4 years old with serious speech development delay. He has been receiving AT & CBT for 2 years as well and realized his strong talents in Maths and Arts. I am very glad to know that he just became QC S1 student.

Don't give up. Life is always full of possibilities and hopes.

pm me if you need more info.

andy_snk 10 yrs ago
My daughter is almost 4 and she was diagnosed with ASD since she was almost 3. she attended K1 in local kindergarten and have some music/speech therapies. As english is our first language at home, the teachers & principle always complain that we should teach her more cantonese so she can catch up the lesson at school. She got learning difficulties!!! that's why she needs more help and attentions! but seems like local teachers & school principle doesn't really care, they just wish to handle "brilliant" students.

we can not afford international schools and/or high priced therapies but local kindergarten and/or assessment centers really do not help much for non-english speaking family.

anyone can suggest affordable school and/or therapies? or even with govt subsidies? really appreciate your kind advice.

tinnnnn 10 yrs ago
Hi I've been working with children with special needs for 10 years and is currently providing consultation service (setting up individualized programs and sometimes doing parent training). I have a few therapists working with me who are willing to provide home therapy services. Please contact me if you would like to have further information.

P.S. I speak both Cantonese and English

Mrs. Jones 10 yrs ago
I have an older daughter with autism. There is a fabulous school that just opened in Sheung Wan which caters to children with special needs aged 3-11:

BRIDGE ACADEMY www.bridgeacademy.com.hk

I just took a tour there as the school was recommended to me by several parents. They have such wonderful caring staff, extremely good and experienced teachers and ABA therapists. The place has a great vibe compared to the other schools I visited. Have now enrolled my child to start next week, very excited!

Just give them a call or pm me for more info.

Best of luck,

Bridget

Kollin 10 yrs ago
Hi my 3 year girl has autism and thanks to Child Development Centre Wan Chai and our struggling welfare system here in Hong Kong she has received quality care. However , the price of care is increasing and we are forced to leave the territory to my place of origin.

Please contact the centre if you need assistance.

Aristo 10 yrs ago
Hi Bobo 36,

Try The Rainbow Project http://rainbowprojecthk.wordpress.com/. It is a charitable organization established in Hong Kong in 1999. They cater for the needs of children within the Autism Spectrum Disorder coming from multinational English speaking backgrounds. Hope this helps.

Best of luck

ngteresa27 9 yrs ago
from South China morning post, understand humanoid robot could help..
Possible to try ASK NAO program. We can find detail at www.5050.com.hk.

ngteresa27 9 yrs ago
There is a free of charge workshop on coming Sat and Sun 29th 30th. you could call my friend Patrick at 28685050

salsegirl 9 yrs ago
Hi

ACTIVEHEALTH,

Very inspiring story,

I am a mother of autistic son and would love to know and share your experience about raising a kid with autism. Can we talk please? I could not figure out how to pm you.

activehealth 9 yrs ago
Hi Salsegirl,

It's not easy but it can be done. I am still learning but I can share my experience.

First of all, you must believe that you can help your child in overcoming his "disability". I must admit that I work in the medical field. It makes it easier for me to explore in different "medical" treatment and training for my boy. He had Craniosacral Therapy (CST), a manual technique to help with his neurological developments (still ongoing) and biomedical treatment to get rid of the mercury in his body. He was on special diet of no gluten (wheat) and no casein (milk) and he was on medications (e.g. DMSA) to detoxify; plus heaps of supplements such as magnesium, zinc, iron, omega 3, B12, etc. to support his body systems. It went on for 2 years.

Secondly, you must have faith in your child, he can lead a happy "normal" life in the future. My boy had intensive behavioral therapy ABA. He had individual training 3 hours a day, five days a week and had a therapist who acted as his shadow teacher in kindergarten. The ABA went on for 1.5 years.

Last but not least, you have to have enough money to cover all the above interventions, which can easily add up to millions of dollars.

Hope that the above information helps and good luck!

AY1008 9 yrs ago
Please allow me to share what I learnt from an up-to-date Autism Research Studies, I will try to make it short:

Currently stats in US, 1 in 38 children being diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). 5 time more prevalent in boys than girls.
Studies show that (1) Children exposed to high levels of mercury during gestation and infancy have suffered from strikingly disease like Autism. If the mom has loaded of vaccinations on her body, toxic substances will very likely be transferred to fetus thru the umbilical cord. (2) Any thyroid hormone deficiency in the mother has repercussions for her fetus. (3) in 47 of 100 so-called natural cleansing products and personal care products (like cosmetic and lotions) contain "1,4-dioxane", a carcinogenic contaminant

Heavy metals like mercury locate at brain nervous system and block all nerve signal receptors in brain, as a result autistic kids seem to disconnected with the world, malfunctioning, nonverbal, and with no focus.

With the aid of Essential Oils in a 6 weeks study in May 2014, many showed significant improvement. I can share more detailed results if you are interested, pm me.

Ed 9 yrs ago
Autism and the Health Impacts of Monsanto Glyphosate Roundup on Children, Research Scientist at MIT

http://www.globalresearch.ca/autism-and-the-health-impacts-of-monsanto-glyphosate-roundup-on-children-research-scientist-at-mit/5421901

Kikilala88 9 yrs ago
Hi Activehealth,

My son was diagnosed with ASD at age 2.5 and he just turned 4 this month. We started ST and OT as soon as we received the diagnosis and added ABA when he was 3Y4M. He has been doing one on one ABA 6 hours a day including Saturday. When he goes to international kindergarten (3 afternoons a week starting this January), the shadow teacher from ABA would accompany him. In addition to ABA, he has 1.5 hours of ST and 3 hours of OT weekly.

It seems like my son is receiving all the therapies recommended and we do see improvements in terms of speech, behavior, and self helps. However, he still has a long way to go. I have been thinking of different ways to help him and recently I started to research subjects on biomedical treatment and CST. I think we are willing to try but I do not know who are reliable. Would you please let me know where do you go for biomedical treatment and CST?

Thank you very much!

activehealth 9 yrs ago
Hi KIKILALA88,

Please check your pm.

In case you don't know how to check pm, just login your account. Check the right hand corner of your computer screen where it says 'MESSAGES' and click that icon.

activehealth 9 yrs ago
Hi SALESGIRL,

You can pm me by logging in your account. Check the right hand corner of your computer screen where it says 'MESSAGES' and click that icon. Then you'll see 'Compose', click that and you'll see the message panel. Put my name 'Activekids' in the TO box and type your message.

Otherwise, give me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail back to you.

activehealth 9 yrs ago
SALESGIRL,

Sorry, I made a mistake. My name should be 'ACTIVEHEALTH' instead.

venus4clark 9 yrs ago
ACTIVEHEALTH,
May I know how I can go about chelation therapy/treatment for my son? He is 10 years old and has ABA. Do I have to have him tested first? We did GFCF diet before for 6 months without any difference in behavior. When I took him off it, he was able to eat what was served on the table and gained more weight. I would credit improvement largely to his ABA sessions but wouldn't mind trying other methods as well.

activehealth 9 yrs ago
You have to have his blood tested first. It's a medical treatment and definitely should be done by a medical doctor.

My boy did it with Dr. Tim Trodd at OTandP at his Eanchai clinic in Shui On Centre. It's not cheap and it's rather complicated. You better go with your hubby and helper as well as you don't want to muck it up and cost more money. He is English, not the warmest doctor that you can find. But he is a no-nonsense guy and would not take you for a ride.

Good luck!

activehealth 9 yrs ago
Wanchai not Eanwhai, typo error. Sorry!

yesso1986 9 yrs ago
BRIDGE ACADEMY www.bridgeacademy.com.hk

gflower 8 yrs ago
hi activehealth

i have just pm you. your reply would mean a lot to my family. look forward to hearing from you. many thanks.

paddiee 8 yrs ago
I just saw this thread, i have a son now 6 who was diagnosed at 2.5 yo with ASD, development delay in speech, fine motors, social skills and attention problems. We used 2 weeks to sort out our directions, biomedical doctor, education aid, and started all necessary therapies since, including ST, OT, chelation and continuously taking supplements. My boy is now in ESF mainstream year 2 (originally they accepted him in support class), and now everything seems smooth and really well. He takes piano lesson, soccer classes, always have a group of good friends, requested sleep overs and play dates. The journey was intensive but apart from spending money, positive thinking, ongoing encouragement and family support were all very important. I am so glad with the progress and willing to share with anyone who needs advice and support.

AnnaDanishek 8 yrs ago
Wish you all the best. Hope you will be fine and your child - happy

samsonight 8 yrs ago
There are no peer reviewed double blind studies supporting CST or essential oils. Don't waste your money and time.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad