Getting your child into HKIS

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by klausmathes 15 yrs ago
My wife and I just had our first child. I am not sure whether we would still be in Hong Kong when he is ready to start school but just in case I feel like I need to at least try to understand the education game here.

We are not rich but I am willing to make spending on his education a financial priority. I would even consider scraping together the money for a debenture if that was necessary to get him the very best education.

So now to the question. Say for example that I decided that I want to try for HKIS. Do I need to start applying now? Or when he is 2 years old? Or when?

Furthermore, will I necessarily need to buy a debenture? Where can I buy one? Directly from the school or do I have to advertise for one?

Any advice is helpful because I haven't a clue where to start.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
klausmathes 15 yrs ago
Calling the school is not much help. As is so often the case in Hong Kong, I am confronted with a low-level clerk who won't commit to any firm position or even venture an opinion based on prior experience, and who moreover will resist putting me into contact with the more knowledgable person in charge and will act frustrated when I try to push her.

melta 15 yrs ago
That's very surprising. I found HKIS admissions staff to be especially forthcoming and professional with information of the type you're seeking. To answer your questions in a nutshell, I was told they accept applications up to two years in advance of your expected/desired date of entry. If you're applying for reception 1, a debenture is not at all necessary. I was told around 30 places were offered last year to applicants who had no priority status e.g. sibling or debenture. But I guess this varies from year to year. I didn't ask about buying a debenture so I can't help you with that I'm afraid. Perhaps it is possible on the secondary market? In which case, the school would naturally not be in a position to be assist you with a purchase.

klausmathes 15 yrs ago
Thanks, Melta, that is the kind of information I am looking for.

I am not sure why I always get so unlucky when I try to call for information in HK (the US Consulate is the very worst about this and I always get a migrane trying to get any information out of them). The woman I talked to at HKIS told me she was only a telephone receptionist but wouldn't transfer me to an actual admissions officer because she said the boss would just tell me the same things.

She warbled something about there being 300-odd applicants for 100-odd positions in 2008. She wouldn't give an opinion about whether a debenture is essential, saying only that things change from year to year. I'm like, thanks for nothing.

mudita_khurana 9 yrs ago
Hi.. It's been Six years for you.., but I'm in the same boat today..
I have a 10 month daughter.. And recently moved to Hong Kong and trying to figure it the education system and while giving education top priority.. I want to know what do u feel about HKIS and other suck schools today and do u have any advise for me ..? :)

mudita_khurana 9 yrs ago
Hi.. It's been Six years for you.., but I'm in the same boat today..
I have a 10 month daughter.. And recently moved to Hong Kong and trying to figure it the education system and while giving education top priority.. I want to know what do u feel about HKIS and other suck schools today and do u have any advise for me ..? :)

GreenCoffee 9 yrs ago
Hi Mudita, I am sure the people posting above have moved on. The competition has become even more fierce then 6 years ago, but so far from my personal experience (my son is 4), the admins are not that bad. The key is to ask the reception to transfer you to "the admission department" as soon as they pick up the phone (not sounding lost or babbling on), and if they want a name, just give them the head of admission posted on their website (every top school has one). You will find talking to management level people a lot more informative then some young girl just graduated from school and has no idea what they're doing (we're all been there, more or less).

To answer a few basic (urgent) question, if you girl is 10 months old, there is a few school that does accept application from birth, and if you are keen, you should submit your application asap: GSIS, Kellett, Harrow, DBIS. The rest you can wait another year or three. Application fee can cost $1000 or more! So do choose wisely as to which schools you want to apply for. Usually the rule is apply to 5-6 in hope of getting into one. Best wishes to your girl!

GreenCoffee 9 yrs ago
Not sure if i am allowed to provide info of other online sites (in fear of my post being taken down), but you can also go to the Hong Kong Top School FB page. That's where every parent gather online nowadays.

mudita_khurana 9 yrs ago
Thank you so much greencoffee .. Thanks for taking out time and helping me get a direction. :)

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad