Ground almonds

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Claire 17 yrs ago
I have been given a recipe for cookies (gluten-free, fat-free, yeast-free, egg-free) which someone else promised I would make!

One of the ingredients is ground almonds. Fair enough. Unfortunately the recipe is American so uses cups (why anyone bakes this ways defeats my logic). Two cups of ground almonds.

I have researched on the Net and, alas, the weight of a cup of ground almonds varies from 100g to 200g!

My first attempt resulted in a gooey mixture - I used the cup measurement on my Pyrex measuring jug. But I don't use cups so have no idea how much 'patting down' to do. The weight for one cup was 115g, within the disparate 100-200g range. Clearly it was not enough.

My question: Has anyone successfully converted a cup of ground almonds to grams? If so, please let me know the weight.

BTW, I also need the weight of one cup of ground walnuts, these I will have to 'make' myself but have no idea how much to buy.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
FunchalPP 17 yrs ago
I have an almond cookie recipe which provided an estimated conversion guideline. 1lb of whole almond nuts yield = 3.5 American cups of sifted ground almond.

1 cup is approx 129.59 gm. (16 oz = 453.592 gm)

There is also a tip- grind small batches of whole almonds in spice grinder to avoid overprocessing(oil), so fill up to the minimum level (cover to blades?) & stop once the ground almond flour stops swirling.

Hope this works for your reference.

gazmo28 17 yrs ago
1 cup = 250g

to be honest these gluten free etc etc recipes rarley work.cookies and the like were invented to be made with flour,butter and ofcourse eggs.

Claire 17 yrs ago
This is driving me nuts ! (pun intended, LOL) And this is why I never use US recipes for baking.

I checked on the USDA website, which I thought would be fairly accurate, and it has one cup of ground almonds as 85g! One cup of ground walnuts is 80g while chopped walnuts is 117g. Guess it will remain an unsolved mystery.

I make macaroons (French-style) and almond cakes all the time so I know ground almonds work wonderfully. So it has to the quantity but I can't just add more ground almonds to the recipe till I get the right consistency as I also have to add the ground walnuts in a 2:1 ratio.

[sigh]

I'll try them again tomorrow. If they don't come out okay, the kid can go hungry...

alices 17 yrs ago
Hello, I have a great cake recipe that requires ground almonds, just wondering where you brought your ground almonds from? I had a quick check of Citysuper but couldn't find any (they did seem to be in the middle of a re-arrange though). Thanks!!

souffleQueen 17 yrs ago
@ Alices, Olivers got them. If you can't find them, you could just ask anyone as they are always helpful or ask either for Sonia or Ken, they are "your" personal shoppers.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad