bread making disasters with breadmaker

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Peekenjoo 16 yrs ago
Try using olive oil instead of butter or margarine. That works for us.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ruth in Canada 16 yrs ago
Add a spoonful of lemon juice to the batch.

Is your yeast fresh? Old yeast doesn't rise properly.

Look on the Kenwood website and see if they have a troubleshooting page.

Good luck!

lasez 16 yrs ago
The Kenwood came with a small recipe booklet. I just followed the recipes in the booklet and they turned out fine (most of the time!)

Ruth in Canada 16 yrs ago
If you can get MeiShan yeast...it's made up the river between GZ and HK. It's the very freshest! The factory manager is Australian and a really good guy.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"Do you have any bread recipes that you can share?"

Here's one. BTW I miss the big kitchen appliance (not breadmaker) we had in the US. I could make 1½ batch in it and the motor would hardly notice. Our Kenwood thing here is lovely, but much too small to handle any meaningful sized batches.

· Approx 1½ kg flour

· 1 liter water

· 2 packages dry yeast

· 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

· 2 tablespoons salt

· Some butter for the breadpans.

Mix the flour, the yeast and the salt in a large container. It is hard to tell the exact amount of flour as this varies depending on quality and climate. The dough should be quite loose when poured into the breadpans. Some experimenting is probably needed until you get it exactly right for the flour in your area.

Heat the water until you just almost scald yourself when you put your finger in. Do NOT heat it further.

While mixing with a hand mixer or equivalent, slowly pour the water into the flour mix.

Add the oil and keep mixing with the hand mixer until you get an even dough.

Let rise under a towel for 45-60 minutes. The dough should not be in a cold place. A nice warm kitchen is perfect.

When the dough has almost finished rising, prepare the bread pans (the long and tall kind made for loaves) by slathering them with butter.

Use the mixer (or your hands) to mix the dough again. It will "sink" rather dramatically when you do this.

Pour into bread pans. If you have done it right, the dough should be quite loose.

Let rise in the bread pans under a towel for about forty-five minutes but not to overflowing. After about half and hour, turn the oven on to 175 degrees Centigrade.

Put the bread pans in the oven at the lowest position. They should bake for about 35-45 minutes at 175 degrees centigrade. They are ready when a testing stick comes back out of the center of a loaf with nothing sticking to it.

Immediately tip the loaves out of the pans (you can use a knife to separate them from the sides). Tastes great fresh! You can freeze the bread by letting it cool completely and cutting into toaster-sized slices, then packaging in plastic bags.

disco babe 16 yrs ago
I've just bought the Kenwood Bread Machine. The bread is quite small and can't handle any bigger amounts.

The biggest problem is the bread has to be demolished before you can get the kneader out of it, leaving a whole in the bread. Does anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

ldsllvn 16 yrs ago
yep - we have had 2 (different brand breadmakers) and you always end up with a hole. ours does make big loaves tho - so not too bad...

the goddess kali 16 yrs ago
check out recipes and instructions for no knead bread (mark bittman) in the web. There's even a you tube video clip. You will put your breadmachine in the cupboard and forget it forever....

it's so easy and i've been making a loaf or two almost every week. no failures yet...

also another really easy 'cheat' recipe is beer bread.

yesterday i put

turned on the oven to 200deg celsius

greased a loaf tin

sifted together

300gms of plainflor

a tablespoon of sugar

a tsp of salt

3teaspoons of bakign powder

(sift a couple of times)

added

75grams of graham flour

75gms of oats (milled in the dry grinder)

handful of roasted sunflower & flax seeds.

poured in a 300ml can of guinness beer, mixed it quickly, transferred it to the baking loaf, covered it whith foil and baked covered for 45min and open for 10min.

then i removed it from the oven and cooled it ona rack. it's crumby in the beginiing but left overnight it became more moist and even better.

and the result was very good.. a really dark, tasty, dense bread, like those german rye breads (no idea what they are called).

disco babe 16 yrs ago
What am I doing wrong..... my bread is caving in in the middle!

Also, it's very crumbly and breaks easily. I've got the Kenwood Bead maker.

axptguy38 16 yrs ago
IIRC crumbly bread is a sign of too much yeast.

The warm climate makes rising rather easy, so perhaps it rises a bit too fast with the "usual" yeast dose.

Ken A 16 yrs ago
We have a bread maker and 99 percent its all good. The few times its gone wrong as as follows:

Yeast out of date - we use the little Mcdowell sachets.

Used normal flower as we didn't have bread flour - sometimes not an issue but it certainly helps

Put the ingredients in the wrong order or getting the wrong amounts. You want to get all the liquids in first followed by the flour, salt and last of all the yeast - you do not want to get your yeast wet.

You need to leave the bread in the machine for about 15 mins afterwards too and let it cool down a little before cutting it.

One last thing - take out the ingredients a while before you put them into the machine, so that they're at room temperature.

We also like to have ours set overnight in the living room - ours isn't noisy at all and easy enough to sleep through then at 8am when the bread is ready we get to wake up to the smell of fresh bread. That gives enough time for a shower and to get ready before cutting a nice slice of fresh bread

Tulipe 16 yrs ago
Does anyone have a good fruit and nut bread recipe that I can make in the Kenwood bread maker? Thanks.

Colin4May 13 yrs ago
Hi all!

I am new to the world of breadmaking and got this one as a present: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/290123/module/general/compare/productsCategory.html

I have to say that after a couple of attempts, I did get the hang of it, and now it's second nature. As I'm planning to sell my apartment soon, I want the smell of freshly baked bread (and freshly brewed coffee) all around the place as they are supposed to be good selling features.

Colin4May 13 yrs ago
Postscript. But sometimes the paddles come out with the bread, and there'sd a hole in the middle of the loaf, which can seem.. strange!!

Gomeze 10 yrs ago
Is anyone using Gemini GBM 30 bread maker recently sold on Groupon? Do you have any problems with it? I can't seem to get a successful loaf of bread. I have tried 4 times. Please advise.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad