Coffee beans

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by HappyHongKongers 16 yrs ago
Are there any places to buy good quality green coffee beans for home roasting. Imported coffees, however good quality to start with, is stale by the time it arrives in HK so just doesn't do it for me. And there is just too few choices for locally roasted coffee.

Also would love recommendations for places to buy barista equipment/accessories.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 16 yrs ago
I agree that a lot of coffee is stale by the time it arrives. The only solution is vacuum packing and as soon as you have opened the tin the decay process begins. Before we bought our machine, we kept opened coffee tins in the fridge. That helps.

I have heard that there are a couple of coffee bean stores around Central.

Not to sidetrack the discussion but we recently bought a Nespresso machine. The coffee is individually portion packed and thus always fresh. I must say that it is by far the best "home coffee" I have ever tasted. Our machine also has the best milk foamer I have ever used.

I imagine the Ironmongers in Prince's Building (top floor) has lots of the barista stuff.

HappyHongKongers 16 yrs ago
I have to admit that the Nespresso does make a nice coffee but I enjoy tinkering and prefer my prosumer espresso machine, comercial grade grinder and home roaster.

Also vacuum sealing does not prevent the deterioration process it merely slows it down.

If you drink black coffee the easiest way to taste it is not at it's prime is to let one cup go cold - if it good at room temperature - that means the coffee beans are fresh. If you taste cold sour muck which most people associate with cold coffee then you are NOT drinking fresh coffee.

hobochangbao 9 yrs ago
I tried nearly all the local sources for green coffee beans and found them either very stale or outragously priced. I was importing from the US for cheaper than local sources until I found a distributor of African coffees in Kwai Chung, Coffee Fairy: www.4plus.com.hk/

Zack has Ethiopian Yirgachefe water process, Sidamo and various Kenya and Malawi for about 115 HKD per kg.

This is my go to place for home roasting now, since I find these African beans give me better results than nearly every other available bean.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad