How to cook sago?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Tarika 18 yrs ago
This is probably a stupid question, but how do you cook sago? Thanks for replies!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
Sago is often added to soups etc. as a thickened or as a base for desserts.

Basic recipe for sago pudding is:

600ml Milk (full)

40g Sago or Semolina

15g Butter

2 tbsp Sugar

1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon or Nutmeg or Mixed Spice (your choice)

Pre-heat oven to 180C.

Heat the milk in a saucepan until lukewarm, then gradually add the sago or semolina, stirring constantly.

Add the butter and sugar, cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring regularly.

Transfer into a greased 1.1 litre oven-proof dish.

Sprinkle with your chosen spice.

Bake for 30-45 minutes - till a golden brown crust has formed.

Serve hot or cold, with fruit or a generous blob of jam.

bananarama 18 yrs ago
You can find it in Wellcome supermarket. Ask the manager. I think it's in the dried food section (dried fruits, nuts, beans.

bluepoppy6 18 yrs ago
The stuff you buy in Wellcome makes tiny tiny pearl balls only - wonder where RBT and the other bubble tea places get their supply.

Taps 18 yrs ago
Following the above, lightly boil coconut milk, add sago and sugar(accdg to taste) and a drop of vanille.

Cool, add diced ripe mango before serving(optional).

Top with coconut cream.

Otherwise, buy pounded rice cake(Japanese mochi), some taro(yam) which should be washed thoroughly, both should be cut into tiny squares.

Boil half a can of coconut milk and taro, add water, adjusting accdg to needs, next put sago and sugar while taro is still firm, a drop of vanilla(not more) and add mochi last.

Top with coconut cream, serve hot or cold.

Both should be soupy.

Please do not blame me if you put on weight.

Taps 18 yrs ago
If you can get hold of Japanese or California rice, that is best.

Chinese do a mean version as well, for us no MSG though.

Below is a housewife version:

Slice the beef into bite-size, add into it some sake(Japanese cooking wine), egg white, white pepper and cornstarch.

Cook in high heat for a minute or so, set aside.

Optional:

Prepare the vegs in advance, not too much though..broccoli or cauliflower, carrot and bell pepper.

We like to add some Chinese cabbage too since beef is expensive in Japan.

Boil broc and cabbage in salted water(go easy), it keeps the colour.

Also prepare in advance the condiments mixed together..some Kikkoman, sesame oil, 2 tbsp of chicken stock and oyster sauce.

Cook in a flash:

Heat vegetable oil(not sesame nor olive oil, too cloying), add garlic and ginger, followed by onion, vegs, beef and condiments.

Beef is tender, vegs still crunchy.

Pour over hot rice.

Serve with clear soup, in a pan add water, boil and add dashi(powdered stock from bonito), wakame(seaweeds) and finely chopped scallions.

As to your q, nope, I went to university in Japan.

etnad 18 yrs ago
Is the question how to cook the "dried sago" or how to use the sago in a dish?

real_human1996 15 yrs ago
Step 1-put the sago in the boiled water (only when the water is boiling)

Step 2-let it boiled for about 10-15 min (stir occasionally or when needed)

Step 3-let it cool for half - 1 hour

Step 4- repeat the first step

Step 5- repeat step 2

Step 6 - put it in the fridge when it cooled down, for overnite (preferably, otherwise you may leave it in the fridge for about 4 - 5 hours)

Step 7 - If you are cooking with the beans, put the sago in when your beans are almost really. remember to stir.

If you are not putting it in the fridge (to forgo step 6)

you may like to prolong the boiling time of the sago for about half an hour (step 2 and step 5). (btw have not tried this method yet, let me kown if it works)

Sanyahingoo 14 yrs ago
As mentioned by A me we have an excellent Indian recipe for sago. Its made a little spicy and similiar to a stir fried rice. Its difficult to put it down here coz I think its important to see how its made. And perhaps you wont be able to get the right results by reading it and trying it out.....hence you need to see how it is prepared first and then try it....here's my number 51832650. I take Indian cooking classes so let me know if you wanna learn it the Indian way.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad