225 g butter, softened

175 g caster sugar

150 g self-raising flour

50 g cocoa powder

5 ml (or about 1 tsp) baking powder

3 eggs at room temperature, beaten

45 ml milk

Method

1. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth and pale in colour and then gradually beat in the eggs.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and fold into the mixture, a little at a time.

3. Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined (with greaseproof paper) 18 cm microwave dish.

4. Microwave on High for 9 minutes until just firm to the touch.

5. Leave to cool in the dish for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Claire 18 yrs ago
Sorry, in my haste I missed those things. I have amended it.

It's not absolutely necessary to line the dish but I hate things sticking and in the microwave you can't use the usual cake tin with removable bottom. I just cut a round of Glad Bake to stick in the bottom.

BTW, the cake should come away from the edge of the dish when it is cook.

Claire 18 yrs ago
BTW, you can use margarine instead of butter.

You can pretty much use the same recipe in the microwave as in the oven, but you have to remember that the microwaved cake will still cook for a while after the power is off. So it might seem undercooked to the touch immediately after cooking and this is why the settling time is important to stick to.

rain> Used to cook a lot so have lots of yummy recipes. A lack of time now means I'm always looking for quick recipes - with very little washing up!

Claire 18 yrs ago
How about just using a little rum extract instead...

Claire 18 yrs ago
Or if you like chocolate and rum, how about a recipe for truffles... hmmmmmmmmm (I seem to have so many chocolate recipes... he he)

Ingredients:

50g plain chocolate, broken into pieces

25g butter

75g sponge cake, crumbled

25g icing sugar

15ml rum

100g plain chocolate, to coat

100g dark chocolate vermicelli, to coat

Method

1. Place the chocolate and butter in a bowl. Heat on HIGH for 1 minute, stir until melted.

2. Add sponge, icing sugar and rum, mix well.

3. Chill the mixture until set enough to handle. 4. Lightly dust your hands with icing sugar and roll the truffle mixture unto 12 even sized balls.

5. Break (second lot) chocolate and place in a bowl. Heat on 100% for 2-3 minutes, stir every 30 seconds until melted.

6. Pour the vermicelli into a separate bowl.

7. Roll each truffle ball first in the chocolate and then in the vermicelli, coat evenly. Place on greaseproof paper, chill to set.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Ada> perhaps cover with clingfilm when cooking to keep some of the moisture in.

gudlookinggal28 18 yrs ago
Hi Claire

microwave cake recipe is great,but i am not chocolate lover,but couldnt find any recipe especially for microwave {i dont have oven}

Claire 18 yrs ago
gudlooking> Here's a recipe for a microwaved Banana and Walnut Upside Down cake.

Ingredients:

115g soft brown sugar

55g butter

3 ripe medium bananas

115g soft tub margarine

115g caster sugar

2 medium eggs (room temperature)

2 tbsp milk

115g self-raising flour

50g broken walnuts, roughly chopped

Method:

1. To make the caramel, put the soft brown sugar and butter into a bowl and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring once, until the butter has melted. Pour into a greased deep 23cm ovenproof flan dish and tip to coat the base.

2. Cut the bananas into thick slices and arrange on the caramel.

3. Put the margarine, caster sugar, eggs and milk into a bowl and sift the flour over. With a wooden spoon or electric mixer, beat until smooth and light. Stir in the walnuts. Spoon the mixture over the bananas and level the surface.

4. Stand the dish on a low rack and cook on MED-HIGH for about 12 min or until the surface is still slightly moist and the cake beneath is cooked.

5. Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes. Slip a knife around the edge of the cake and turn it on to a warm serving plate.

Claire 18 yrs ago
And here is a basic microwave sponge recipe. I mentioned before about not overcooking it. This is important as overcooked cakes go stale quickly.

Basic Microwave Sponge

Ingredients

100 g self-raising flour, sieved

100 g soft margarine

100 g caster sugar

2 eggs, at room temperature

30ml milk

Method

1. Put all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix well until smooth. Tip into lined 18cm soufflé dish and smooth the top.

2. Cook on MEDIUM power for 3 1/2 -4 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a rack. The cake is cooked when it has just dried on the top.

gudlookinggal28 17 yrs ago
wow,thank you ,Claire!I cant wait to try your recipes tonight when I get home .Thanks a lot,Claire!

Claire 17 yrs ago
Let me know if you need any other microwave recipes, don't have tons but happy to share. Perhaps start a separate thread for others to share too.

BTW, the basic cake recipe is meant for a 900W oven.

Claire ,

Do you have cake recipes{microwave}using plain flour as basic.

I bought 4 boxes and never use,do you think its possible if I use plain flour than self-raising flour for your recipes above?Thanks Claire

Claire 17 yrs ago
You could try it with adding baking powder, about 1 tsp (5g) per 100g of plain flour. This is very approximate and for an ordinary oven; I haven't tried doing this in a microwave.

I will try to add baking powder then,thanks again Claire

Claire 17 yrs ago
Just had a look thru my recipes and found one for a sponge pudding which uses plain flour and the microwave. I don't recall making it, perhaps give it a go.

Sponge Pudding

Serves about 4

Ingredients

125g butter, melted

125g caster sugar

2 eggs

150g plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

2 small lemons, zest and juice

vegetable oil to grease the pudding basin

To Serve:

4 tbsp golden syrup or jam if preferred (can heat in the microwave for a winter warmer)

custard (homemade or from a packet)

Method

1. Sieve together the flour and baking powder. Add the butter, sugar, and eggs and mix to a paste. You can do this in a processor if you have one.

2. Add the lemon juice and zest, continue to mix. Add the milk until the mixture reaches a dropping consistency.

3. Spoon the mixture into a greased 1.2L basin (suitable for the microwave). Cover with cling film and microwave on HIGH for four minutes (or until the sponge begins to shrink from the sides and is springy to the touch).

4. Leave to stand for 2-3 minutes before turning out and serving with golden syrup or jam and custard.

Alternatively, leave out the lemon and make the basic sponge pudding. Serve with a ginger syrup.

120ml water

110g caster sugar

5cm fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped

Heat in a saucepan for 5 minutes (or in the microwave) till a syrup is formed. Pour over the sponge. I think this would be good served with a dollop of mascarpone.

Thanks for million ,Claire!

I will try to bake the your recipe's Banana and Walnut Upside Down cake ,its sounds fun ,hope I can work it out .

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad