Hong kong Xbox - PAL or NTSC?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Todd192 15 yrs ago
Im from the UK and have been in Hong Kong for 7-8 months and thought I would treat myself to an Xbox360. Having looked around both NTSC and PAL games seem to be available, which has confused me!

Can you buy both NTSC and PAL Xboxes in HK? Which Xbox am I best to buy? I was wondering the best for games from HK, taking back to the UK, buying games elsewhere, etc, etc.

Any advice would be most appreciated

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 15 yrs ago
As mentioned it's PAL. NTSC is pretty much confined to the Americas, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, the Philippines, and some more.

Then again many new tv sets can take either signal.

Todd192 15 yrs ago
Seems strange that they seem to sell so many games that say they are NTSC.

Am I then rigth in thinking that all PAL games will work on an HK bought PAL machine? Even ones for the UK market?

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
"Am I then rigth in thinking that all PAL games will work on an HK bought PAL machine? Even ones for the UK market?"

Apart from any region locking issues (don't know if there are), yes.

The stores in HK are pretty well informed about this sort of thing so you can just ask before you buy.

Bluedon 15 yrs ago
I brought back some PAL games from UK for a HK bought 360, no problems runnning or playing. Also the HK console plays either band as i have a mixture of PAL and NTSC-J games, again no playing worries. so get the machine and buy what you want.

ishaan14 15 yrs ago
I have a PAL Xbox 360 but mine plays both NTSC-J (whats the J for?) as well as the PAL games, yes the pal games from the UK mate

Cheers

(Based in HK)

axptguy38 15 yrs ago
NTSC-J is the slightly different Japanese variant of NTSC. The difference is minute and the term is mostly used nowadays to differentiate gaming consoles.

jamming 15 yrs ago
Hi guys, i've just found out the hard way about the different region codes for xbox 360.

My birthday is coming up, and my girlfriend wonderfully remembered that i'd mentioned a few months ago how i used to love playing ice hockey games, but haven't had 1 for a while.

So, as they they don't sell it locally in HK, she went online to play-asia.com and bought me a copy of the newly released game EA Sports NHL 2010.

The problem is, this game is only available in NTSC U/C, and as she had no clue about region codes, she bought it.

Now when i try it on my HK Xbox 360 i get error messages about it being the wrong region code.

A refund on the game is not an option as i opened the packaging to try it.

Any suggestions on what i can do to get this game working (without getting my xbox live account voided).

This is all very annoying as i have a perfectly legal game and a perfectly legal xbox 360 but can't use 1 with the other.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad