My New Dog Killed Resident Cat

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by maxjon77 5 yrs ago
Hi, I've posted here before, and I'm so sorry for the grisly content. I don't know what else to do or who to talk to and I'm really struggling.

Over the weekend my newly adopted dog (I've had her for 3 weeks) killed my cat. I was there when it happened and I couldn't get my cat away from my dog until she had already died. I don't know what this means about my dog. Does this mean that she's aggressive and I've never noticed? Can I trust her around small animals and children? We had intended that she would be a therapy dog, and I don't know if that can happen now. She has some pretty intense separation anxiety, which has generally been ok because I can bring her to work with me. I don't want to have to bring her back to the shelter because I think that she would be difficult to adopt with the anxiety, and the fact that she's killed a household cat. But I also can't get what happened out of my mind and I'm feeling angry with her even though I don't think she meant to kill my cat.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Tramadol 5 yrs ago
My dog has killed two of my pet birds. That's normal behaviour. It's not the dogs fault, rather yours

Kilo5117 5 yrs ago
First of all. I am sorry that this happened. It must have been so traumatic and sad for you.

This is definitely not normal behavior. I would seek professional help.

Merlin30175 5 yrs ago
Could I ask what breed your dog is? Some breeds have a higher prey drive than others Or mixed breeds with a specific breed in there. It doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with your dog, some just can’t live with smaller animals as it brings this instinct out in them. If he/ she has never been aggressive towards people then the probability of them becoming this way is basically zero.

As you have said you have really only just adopted this dog so you don’t know it’s full personality as of yet. If you keep him / her away from small animals or at least use a muzzle if you think the circumstances will arise that they will come into contact with them you will prevent a reoccurrence of this situation. I am very sorry you had to witness this, it must have been quite traumatic.

I work in dog psychology and behavior modification and am currently studying the Diploma. Changing this behavior is likely not possible as it is based in instinct but you can definitely do something about the separation anxiety. If you do have to leave your dog on it’s own then if you leave an item of your clothing with him, the older the better it will help. Keep your dog in a smaller room while you are out providing it isn’t for more than a couple of hours, make sure they have water etc so they are comfortable. The smaller room makes them feel more secure and safe or crate train then if there is room in your house for this. Also use distraction techniques for example a kong toy filled with frozen chicken stock and chicken mix which will keep them busy and occupied while you are out. Do let me know how it goes and once again I’m sorry to hear about this terrible experience.

kankkunen 5 yrs ago
Dear Maxjon,

This kind of aggressiveness require training to be first a controlled environment. She needs to be taught what are her things and that which are not hers to play with or destroy. If you need help you may write to me as i see you just want the best for her.

beohund@gmail.com

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad