Is Hong Kong the Least Happiest Place in the World?

Search  

ORIGINAL POST

Posted by Ed 33 days ago
What is behind Hong Kong’s infamous reputation as one of the world’s unhappiest places? China commentator Tom McGregor takes a deep dive into the Pearl of the Orient.

BEIJING: For a number of decades, Hong Kong stood tall as a major financial hub in Asia, home to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, a regional banking centre and a gateway to mainland China markets.

But the local economy has staggered in recent years, while even new age yoga gurus are fleeing the city in search of greener pastures elsewhere.

The city was ranked the seventh least happy place in the world in 2017, according to US-based research organisation Gallup International.

‘IN HONG KONG, LIFE IS ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE’

The South China Morning Post quoted British writer Rajeev Balasubramanyam, who recounted his life in Hong Kong from 2009 to 2012, saying that:

"People come to Hong Kong for one reason. To make money. And everyone is unhappy. It is one of the unhappiest places I have been to"

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/hong-kong-least-happy-city-survey-outlook-pessimism-youths-11453640

COMMENTS

Ed 33 days ago
This story has popped up on a few news alerts I subscribe to ... and I've seen it on my journey across the www on various sites....

I've until now ... ignored it .... but this morning I decided to take the (click) bait and have a look at what gives....

And it is .... a misleading piece of claptrap.... the author needs to be locked in a room with Air Supply's Greatest Hits looping endlessly ... until he apologizes for this pile of dung....

He starts off with various statements implying that expats come to HK for the big pay day... but that they are unhappy living in Hong Kong....

But then he goes off the rails detailing how Hong Kong youth are profoundly unhappy.... and he explains why.

What sort of nonsense is this?

Yes of course Hong Kong youths are unhappy --- an apartment the size of a car park costs 4 million bloody dollars!!!

Which means you are stuck living with mum and dad in a spacious 3 bedroom 500sf apartment (and that includes your share of the lift lobby....

And this unsuitable arrangement gives rise to deep psychological issues caused by the inability to have your own pad and invite your girlfriend/boyfriend over to.... indulge ... in fun and games....

This is compounded by the fact that you're not making Big Money --- and inflation is killing you .... so you can only afford one night a month in one of those sordid Kowloon love motels....

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0e/da/15/49/the-front-of-the-hotel.jpg

Located along

https://unforbiddingcity.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/img_03681.jpg

When you are 18 and your hormones are raging.... one month is not gonna cut it....

Freud had a fair bit to say about repressed sexual desires... and how they manifest themselves in all sorts of twisted behaviours....

https://pearlsofprofundity.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/sigmund-freud-3a.jpg

So ya... the youth of Hong Kong are unhappy.... and compounding the problem is that they have a HK Passport... and that takes you about as far as Fanling if you are looking to escape....

It ain't like a EU passport ... or even an American passport where you can swap states with a plane ticket...

As for expats .... are you kidding me buddy?

Most expats in Hong Kong are Living Large.... they are living the vida loca... sure they earn some big dosh ... but it's not like a banker or a lawyer who repatriated would be living like a pauper...

Many of the expat families in Hong Kong get free memberships at the many posh clubs in town.... and some of them have not one ... but two maids.... and I know some who have a driver as well (the only unhappiness is when the husband and wife fight over who gets the driver that day....)

Many live in very nice apartments --- some renting for over HKD200k per month.... a 30k apartment is considered 'slumming it' oh booo hooo .... they must be soooo sad (not)

As a single expat .. particularly a male (or ... as a married but soon to be single expat ... as is often the case).... Hong Kong is a wonderland ....

You get to be Peter Pann.... you can - if you choose ... to live like a pro athlete... or a rock star..... but without the paparazzi snapping your photo and harassing you ... plenty of wine women and disco dancing ....

http://cmzone.vzbqbxhynotw9ion96xv.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Cleaning-Up-After-a-Massive-Hangover-Inducing-Party.jpg

And we all have read (at least I have) that expose on how around 5pm on Fridays half of the IFC and Exchange Square offices empty out as punters pop out for a quick coffee / ciggy / poop... or whatever ... and gather on the street corners to meet with their favourite triad member to acquire their weekend 'supply'

And for those who prefer not to acquaint with the dodgier things that Hong Kong has to offer.... there are raucous junk trips to splending seafood restaurants ..... hiking on on trails with spectacular views.... awesome restaurants, pubs and bars... there's hanging out in Stanley having a few pints on a Saturday afternoon...

You can pop over to Macau for a meal....

And there are literally hundreds of incredible holiday destinations within a 3 hour flight from Hong Kong.

And... and.... the subway is clean and on time all the time!!!!

Unhappy? Who's unhappy? What's to be unhappy about. Hong Kong is awesome!!!

And if there is anyone who is unhappy .... remember... unlike Chan Man Wa.... we all have passports.... and we can all easily get pretty good jobs somewhere else....

I don't know any unhappy expats in Hong Kong .... they all left already....

< Back to main category

>

Login now