Looking for Cantonese/Traditional Chinese Tutor

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by psquaredlam 6 yrs ago
Hi,

I'm interested in intensively learning Cantonese and written Traditional Chinese. However, I'm hard of hearing so my hearing and speaking skills may be limited. The nine tones will be hard to differentiate for me as well as pronouncing them but I'm willing to do the best I can.

I would also like to focus more on Traditional Chinese since my hearing problems may be a barrier to Cantonese.

I would like an experienced tutor if possible, who can talk loud and clearly for me as well haha. I work full-time teaching English to Deaf students in a secondary school and would like to know Chinese to use as a support system when teaching. We can talk schedule and rates. I'm in To Kwa Wan so Kowloon area is best for me.

Please let me know!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Katarina316 6 yrs ago
good day ~
Please feel free to contact Mr. Wong at:
wongtakfu@gmail.com

He used to work for local primary schools and an experienced cantonese tutor.

Thank you!

Have a nice day and keep warm.

sogreensofluffy 6 yrs ago
Hi, I'd like to comment as a native Cantonese speaker that the hearing and speaking are hugely important in Cantonese, far more important than reading and writing!

What is spoken does not match what is written down in a textbook. Cantonese is a really special language.

For example, "I've gone to the market to buy one fish and a packet of biscuits."

In spoken Cantonese it is pronounced as: "Ngor hui guo gai see mai zor yat tiu yuu zong yao yat bao bang" or something like that.

In written Cantonese, the words are different - the nouns, verbs, connective phrases are very different and that's pronounced as: "Ngor hui LIU Gai see mai LIU yat tiu yuu WOR yat bao bang".

These romanized pronunciation-imitation things really don't mean anything and I certainly don't expect you to pronounce anything accurately from looking at them. It is just to give you an idea of how different it is spoken/written.

Basically the textbook version is one thing but the spoken version IS A DIFFERENT THING. That's Cantonese. I might as well flag up to you that the nine tones are absolutely crucial, without them Cantonese don't make any sense at all. Is it a Phoenix or is it the wind? Or "you give"?

"Let's pinch that off" all the Cantonese-speaking people know how to say it out verbally but over 95% of them don't know how to write this verb. And that's only a very simple verb. Loads of verbs and nouns are like that in Cantonese. "smash the hammer upon this" I would have to look up how to write the verb (spoken form)

psquaredlam 6 yrs ago
sogreensofluffy: Thanks for the explanation. I already know that spoken and written Cantonese are different. I just meant I'd like to focus more on Traditional Chinese just so I'm able to read food menus and get by better as a teacher when I'm reading emails in Chinese. Plus it'd be nice to get closer to my students by understanding their work in other classes apart from English (just for fun).

As for spoken Canto, believe me, I know how important it is to nail the 9 tones. But since it's impossible for me, I can still try my best (as people do make sense of some of my broken badly pronounced Canto anyway) and again, it'd be fun conversing in Canto with people who are aware of my hearing abilities.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad