Breaking contract and hiring helper / partner

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by zanzibar1 7 yrs ago
I have been dating an Indonesian helper for the past six months. She is employed by a Chinese family and has only off on Sunday from 6am until 10pm. I know she is entitled to 24 hours off, but that is the way it is now.

Statutory holidays are not always honoured, before she leaves on Sunday she needs to prepare breakfast and clean up the kitchen, etc... We see each other every Sunday, go hiking, swimming, she cooks for us, etc...

Basically we are a couple living apart six days a week. This is not just some fling with a Wan Chai girl, so we are now looking into the possibility of breaking her contract with the Chinese family in order to permanently live together. What is the procedure to do this properly?

Should I contact her agency and ask them to go through the red tape? I understand that in case of breaking a contract, there is a one month notice period with her current employer. What if she breaks her contract and just moves out sooner? Apart from not receiving her salary -- which I don't really care about -- are there any other consequences?

Does she need to go back to Indonesia after she breaks her contract before she can start working for me? I have received conflicting information regarding this. Some people told me that if she has a new contract within two weeks of breaking, she does not need to move out of HK. Others have contradicted this.
All other advice is of course welcome as well.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad