Helper holiday mid contract

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by GemmaW 10 yrs ago
My helper would like to go back to Indonesia to visit her family in Chinese New Year next year. She would have worked with us for 1 year and 5 months by then. She reassured me that she'd come back to work with me after (at the time, I looked at her strangely because it was a really weird thing to say. Of course she'd be back) Anyway, when she asked, I told her that it was fine. That I would take 14 days leave from work.Anyway, since then I've had two friends who's helper did NOT come back after the holidays. One is a colleague of mine who's helper signed a second contract. A month into the second contract, she went on a 3 week holiday and did not return. Another friend's helper didn't return mid contract.Luckily, one friend has her own parents to help look after her baby and the other has children who are 15 and 18, and she works quite close to home. Her daughter will be able to come to wait for her at our workplace after she finishes school.Now I'm worried because my kids are very young and I can't take 2-3 months off work waiting for a new helper.I have no reason to doubt my helper... but I'd just like to know.... what would these helpers achieve by not coming back to work? Wouldn't they be banned from reapplying for a work visa here in HK in future? Or would it be that they feel they've earned enough so wouldn't want to come back anyway? Or is bribery involved so that they can have multiple different names if they want to come back? My helper is okay. She doesn't like to be told (even gently)when she's made a mistake and will threaten me with, "If you don't like me, find another one" but after a while, she's calm down. But my problem will be not being able to take another 2-3 months off on top of the 2 weeks granted to her if she does decide NOT to be back.I could ask her to tell me honestly if she doesn't want to be back but my two friends told me that their helpers also promised them they'd be back.So.......my question is, what benefit do they have by not coming back? Don't they lose more? I'm not seeing the logic. Can anyone help? Or should I be looking for a second helper before the time comes?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
asiaXdreamy 10 yrs ago
if you have experience of being threatened like that plus such worry, then you may consider whether to grant her thr holiday at this moment, after all, you have right to say.Recent statistics showed at least 4 bulgary or theft cases related to, without.prejudice, indonesian maids . You may take note and observe if irregularities can be spotted in your case.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad