UK and EU visa for DH

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Mattymaky 16 yrs ago
Could anyone give me some help and advice on applying for a visa for DH to join our family holiday in the UK and Europe this coming summer. Will I need two separate visa's and which one do I need? Also what are my chances?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 16 yrs ago
"I am not sure if she can apply for schengen visa. If schengen visa, you can apply to either of these countries I mentioned below. The following countries are: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Amsterdam, Portugal, Luxumbourg."

Also Sweden, Greece, Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland (the last two are not even in the EU). And it's not Amsterdam but "The Netherlands".

The Schengen Agreement simply means that there are no internal border controls, so once you get in one country there are no barriers going to other Schengen countries.

souffleQueen 16 yrs ago
Yes, you need to apply separate visa for both.

UK, as beancurd said is very straight forward as long as you have all the papers needed. Not though that as of Oct. 2008 all applicant need to apply on line ( or by phone) for appointment. Biometric data is also required. He/she must be in your employ for at least 12 months . If that's the case, your helper could just go to the British embassy during the appointed time and date ( with the printed form), your signed undertaking ( Immigration Act 1972) and an entry clearance to be signed by you and your helper ( stating work condition while in UK, pay, hours of work/week and free time/accommodation etc) A copy of which must be kept by both parties. A 6 months multiple entry visa is standard for Hk$ 3,200.00 ( or 3, 700..sorry I forgot it, but much cheaper when getting from UK where a fee of 595 quid is to be paif for same day visa or 395 for 4-14 weeks application)

As for the EU, it must be ( I think) obtained from the country of destination as each has different requirements. In my case, Austria was the destination and they require at least 14 working days and an insurance is a must. Though we sometimes go in to Austria via Munich or Italy.

ggrizzy 15 yrs ago
i just sent my helper to the french consulate for a tourist visa but she got rejected. she had all the relevant docs with her, even financial proof from us and that we will be bringing her back. they insist i get a domestic helper visa which means i need to register in france etc etc with her employment contract. anyone know of any way around this? we're leaving on 14 july so i need help fast! i tried to contact spanish consulate but they're closed till 30/4 :(

ggrizzy 15 yrs ago
finally i sent the french consulate an email to explain my case bout my DH 'going on holiday' with us and not 'working for us' per se. they replied saying 'anyone is free to apply for whichever visa he/she wants'. this morning we went again to the french consulate to apply for a 'tourist' visa along with this email and they approved it with no questions asked. now i'm going to apply for the 'visitor UK' visa.... wish us luck!

:)

ggrizzy 15 yrs ago
just as a follow-up, my helper got rejected by the french consulate anyway :( so we changed our flight itin and went to the italian consulate (they said 7 days, vs 2 wks for spain consulate). they questioned us about how come my DH got a 'applied xx/4 at consulate of france' chop on her passport but no visa so we explained about changing our plans and first port of entry is now rome, bla bla bla... i don't know if the official believed us but he took all our docs and then 9 days later, we got a call, we went, and we got it! YAY! now, our REAL first port of entry still remains to be paris. can anyone tell me if my DH will b able to get into paris after all this? (multiple entry schengen visa valid for the whole duration of our trip, valid and paid cruise tix for 2 weeks together with us, travel insurance, we got the works...) or would it b safer for my husband (employer) to fly to rome w DH and then fly from rome to paris and hope there's no immigration control for the 'domestic' flight? any help would b much much appreciated!

Charishjoy 10 yrs ago
Hi,
My name is Charish, I am working as domestic helper here in Hongkong and aiming to get a job from another's country. I found an employer in Paris, France who are willing to hire me as a nanny or domestic helper. Is possible for me to get a working visa from here to France?
Anyone can help me?
Thank you very much

wilkette46 10 yrs ago
Charishjoy - unless the employer offers to process the paperwork, it could very well be a scam - you could end up with illegal status in France which will leave you very vulnerable: illegal, not speaking the language and alone with limited resources.If they are offering to process your work visa there are a lot of hoops for them to jump through so make sure that they are aware of the procedures, that they are giving you a work contract. I would be very suspicious if they tell you to get a tourist visa and that all would be arranged once you are there.

Too many sad stories about girls who come to France or other Western Europe countries with the promise of a job as an aupair only to end up in the slave trade.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad