Apartment living in Hong Kong

Search  

ORIGINAL POST

Posted by Ed 12 days ago
While old-style public housing apartment blocks conjure fond memories of the ‘real’ Hong Kong, a flawed system has seen them unable to keep up with demand, leading to near-intolerable living conditions for many tenants. By Elizabeth Flux.

Here I am with my dark brown hair and my white-passing face looking exactly like what I am: lost. It’s night, although everything is lit so brightly the only way to tell is by looking at the sky.

My left hand is clutching a small wheelie bag, and there is a satchel slung over my shoulder. I’m sweating a bit, having just caught a minibus, then a train, then another minibus, and I’m pretty sure my backpack is hitching my dress up too high.

Here I am with my dark brown hair and my white-passing face looking exactly like what I am not: a tourist.

Stretched out in front of me is a forked path, each way leading to one of three identical foyers. I’ve actually been here before, many times, but after three years, I’ve only been able to follow my feet this far.

All around me people are coming and going, getting home from work, wrangling children after tutoring, making their way to the shops.

My appearance sets me apart, says I don’t belong. Everyone who passes by gives me a second look. Hong Kong is no stranger to tourists – but this place is not where tourists go.

https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/2019/04/13/apartment-living-hong-kong/15550776007965

< Back to main category

>

Login now