/- Caribbean Coast?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Nykolai 18 yrs ago
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Caribbean Coast in Tung Chung? I am particularly interested in the 2 new buildings still under construction.

Does anyone know of any good deals out there if you buy directly from the developer?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 18 yrs ago
Sorry dont know about that development - but FYI: http://www.chianti.com.hk/main.html

Ms_Wing 18 yrs ago
Nykolai, Caribbean Coast is actually the newest of all apartments in Tung Chung and they have a HUGE club house and most of it is still under construction (i.e. the 250m Long Pool), I have been there and it's quite nice. The only thing is it gets PRETTY windy down there. The views are fantastic though, with the shuttle bus and all, it will be quite convenient to live there. The existing buildings are the same as the new ones though so It might actually be better to just get the existing ones, probably lower prices.

annebin 18 yrs ago
Saw some flats there--outstanding value for money! They provide free shuttle to and from Citygate/TC MTR station and have buses ($9) to and from Central and TST during peak hours in the morning and early evening.

The 3-bedroom units we saw all came with balconies, were nicely-laid out, had beautiful sea views and pretty quiet, considering the airport is nearby.

Plus, they allow dogs.

Claire 18 yrs ago
annebin> Do you know how long the buses take to Central? Are they run by the estate or KMB? Cheers.

Ms_Wing 18 yrs ago
Claire, both the estate and Citybus run buses to Central. It takes approx. 30 mins to get to Central.

The estate buses only run during peak hours every morning and evening though.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Ms Wing> Do you know the number of the Citybus? (I can't find a through bus on its website.)

Ms_Wing 18 yrs ago
Citybus E11 go from Tung Chung post office to Central.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Ms Wing> Thanks for the sppedy reply. Finally (I hope) do the estate peak hour buses actually go from the estate itself or would a walk be involved?

BTW, do you live there? How do you find the noise (airport/road)? Thanks.

Ms_Wing 18 yrs ago
That's fine, I am bored at work anyway :)

The shuttle buses go from the estate to IFC.

I don't live there but I have friends that do...they find the noise acceptable, you can hear the planes but it's not too disturbing they said.

dimac4 18 yrs ago
It kills me the names they come up with for these estates and developments..carribean coast, gold coast, palm springs ...not very original and definitely trying to be pretentious and something they are not.

2006 18 yrs ago
Caribbean Coast seems to have relatively low efficiency.

dimac4 18 yrs ago
I also understand that sometimes the pollution is so bad you can't even see the swimming pool in the complex! (I assume this would depend on the floor you were on - but even so...that is pretty poor visibility. This may be in one of the adjacent buildings that are complete.

ShazP 18 yrs ago
I lived in CC for about a year.

Place is pretty, but now too many bldgs are coming up by the second. Club house is great, but all bldgs share the same one now ( or until the other clubhouses are built?). The shuttle bus is convenient.

The downer was that my kid was always ill there, mainly with chest congestion, cold, cough. Finally our GP informed us that it may be the pollution affecting her as she continously had it. We could feel & see the pollution coming from China literally. So, we moved out.

Flats - very thin walls. Could hear a pin drop. The first phase- bathrooms had no windows, very dark...therefore the humidity & wetness stayed...therefore always damp.

No aircraft noise really, very quiet. Pretty view, if sea facing. Tung Chung is getting extremely crowded overall.

Hope this helps in anyway. All the best!

Nykolai 18 yrs ago
Thanks everyone for their constructive feedback! It's always hard to pick a place to live, especially when planning for the future. Hopefully I will find the "perfect home" soon...

Nykolai 18 yrs ago
The thing about Tung Chung and the air pollution is an "urban legend". I cannot understand how the air in TC is far worse than other parts of HK. HK being such a small place I don't believe there is such a big difference.

After coming across this Green Peace website I am even more convinced that TC is not that bad...

http://api.greenpeace.org.hk/index.php?lang=en

Beth.Hodges 18 yrs ago
I live in CC. No issues with pollution, I rarely hear the planes. I don't find it crowded at all - in fact, I find it quite spacious.

It is a little damp, but nothing compared to our place in Kowloon and our place near Mui Wo.

The facilities are fantastic...and I can see the pool below me quite clearly - every morning ;)

Ridgeback 18 yrs ago
I'm very interested in hearing anyone else's positive or negative views on living in TC.

We are thinking of moving from the Gold Coast to TC in July. In my opinion there is not much to do around the GC area with a child - but the Caribbean Coast seems to have alot to offer. Its great there is a cinema, bowling alley and so many play areas and pools for kids to play in. All the apartments are virtually brand new, nicely decorated if furnished and very reasonably priced for furnished or UF apartments. I'm particular impressed there are 2 Kindergartens in the complex which means my son won't have to travel for a ridiculous amount of time on a school bus to an International School from the GC each day. We have a dog so I'm happy they accept pets there.

I think its great that the MTR is so accesible, here on the GC I have to catch a bus which is virtually impossible for me to do on my own with a baby and a pram - the bus is always so crowded by the time the bus comes so I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more of HK with my son by jumping on the MTR occassionally.

There seems to be great shopping facilities, vet, doctors, grocery store, dog shop etc all within walking distance. Here on the GC its a pain getting on a bus to take my son for an appt. We have a car that we use occassionally here on the GC - but I'm pleased we won't need one in Tung Chung - another expense we can get rid of.

I have heard many negative comments about the pollution tho which makes me very apprehensive.

I'd love to hear other people's views on TC.

Claire 18 yrs ago
Ridgeback> Have a friend who has just leased a place there. She is a bit worried about the noise from neighbours but in most units the walls of the bedrooms do not touch another flat's walls.

Went out there once with her and it was quite windy and we didn't notice the pollution - unlike Causeway Bay which we went to afterwards.

Remember that the shuttle bus is very small but if you need to get a taxi to the MTR because of the pushchair, it should cost only $15. We went on a Sunday so it was full but I guess during off peaks times you probably can get the pushchair on.

Phase 2 and 3 recreation areas are still under construction so avoid a low-level flat on that side.

My friend found a 3-bed, 2-bath mid-level unfurnished one with green/partial seaview for a very good price. Her agent bargained it down for her so let me know if you want his number and I'll give her a ring.

The one I saw with her was a 3-bed 2-bath seaview one (about 1000 sq ft) which was $7.5K but she didn't want a north-facing one. Great view of the airport from the balcony though.

For floorplans, check out the CC website which was got me and my partner thinking...

http://www.caribbeancoast.com.hk/

J's Aunt 18 yrs ago
Ridgeback,

I've been living here for a year and a half and love it. The pollution as with everywhere else in HK has it's good days and bad days, it's not any worse here than anywhere else but some people seem to think so. The planes can be a bit noisy when the windows are open but I think you get use to it.

As you mentioned there is a cinema at Citygate along with the mall and some restaurants. I think 3 new restaurants just opened last month. At CC they just opened a PNS, Watsons, 7-11, laundry, day care and a few other shops and restaurants downstairs Phase 2. I wouldn't worry about the shuttle bus being small, there are 2 size buses one is a 26 seater and the other the size of a tour bus. You won't have to worry about carrying the stroller....they allow you to fold it and place it next to the driver on the small bus and you can place it next to you on the bigger bus....that's what everyone does and there are lots of families with children living here.

Hope this helps!

Boobear 18 yrs ago
Hi Ridgeback,

We moved from the Gold Coast to CC in November and love it here. For just the reasons you mentioned - the facilities and easier access to Central. To have great pools, indoor and outdoor play areas for toddlers etc makes life easier with a small child. Fine to put stroller on shuttle bus. Pollution no worse than Gold Coast. Only thing I miss from GC is playing on the beach, but you can't have everything (well maybe you can but have yet to find it on my budget!) My son goes to Greenfield downstairs and loves it. I hope this helps.

leung_johnson 18 yrs ago
Looking for an unfurnished 1000' place at CC to rent. Anyone know?

Claire 18 yrs ago
Leung> The agent my friend used is called Joseph Wong. He's with an agency and, although his English is not perfect, he apparently knows the area inside out and was very helpful. His mobile is 91919908. See if he can help you.

(My partner and I are thinking of CC and would use Joseph on her recommendation.)

annebin 18 yrs ago
Our agent's name is Thomas, and you can reach him through his mobile: 91580801. He's stationed at the M-- office in CC.

I have recommended him to family and another friend who, like us, were very pleased with the way he conducted business. He speaks English well too.

Ridgeback 18 yrs ago
Well, we're one step closer to moving to Tung Chung - possibly in the next month. Thanks to everyone for your comments on TC.

We've seen zillions of apartments there and think we've found the one we want.

Does anyone know if there are Child Care facilities at TC?

Also, are there any people that look after pets when we go on holidays or that would take our dog for a walk twice a day when we're unable to?

Does anyone know of anyone that would do something like that?? Part-time helpers or the like?

SuzieW 18 yrs ago
WE're considering moving to Carribean Coast, with 2 kids, 1 cat and 1 maid, cannot afford the rent in HK Island anymore.

WE've visited some flats there, great view, nice units etc.

ONE QUESTION though: there is no Maid's quarter. So my question is: is there any live-out solution (like boarding room, maid sharing flat) in Tung Chung.

Giving the 'storage' room to the maid as a bedroom is not an option ! And we cannot give her one room either since 2 kids.

Anyone encountered same problem and solved it ?

Thanks for your reply

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad