Renting a car for a driving exam

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bertstandards 7 yrs ago
I was amazed last week when my instructor, who I had thought was a pretty reasonable guy up to that point, informed me that it would cost HKD1,875 to rent his car for the duration of the driving exam, which took an absolute maximum of 25 minutes (parts B and C).

I thought that was crazy and confronted him about it sort of tongue-in-cheek. He almost looked embarrassed but said this was a normal rate to use an instructor's car and that this was "the Hong Kong tradition" for renting the car for the exam.

Anyway, somewhat inevitably, I failed on parallel parking (my own fault -- my mind went totally blank when I was attempting it and I totally ignored what we had practiced 20 times before and ended up 5cms on the paint resulting in an immediate fail) and therefore failed part B of the exam. Part B includes a parallel parking manoeuvre and a three-point turn and takes all of five minutes if you're especially careful.

I was annoyed but wanted to put in to take the test again as soon as possible as I actually went on to pass the road test (part C) after failing part B.

So I got in touch with my instructor thinking, 'he can't possibly ask for the same amount to rent his car for a total of about 10 minutes just to do the manoeuvre section (part B) of the test. He did.

He blithely informed me that it would cost the same amount again to rent his car to take the part of the exam I have to repeat. Basically, he wants $1,875 to rent his car to me for 5-10 minutes. On top of that I will need to pay the HKD500 to the licensing department to register for the test.

I won't pay that as I think he must be ripping me off. That cannot be the going rate to hire an instructor's car for 10 minutes, surely?

Does anyone know of a cheaper option?

Many thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
joseph45 7 yrs ago
hey come i will rent my car to you an also teach u how to drive it can only cost u some money....tnx watsaap me at 92649761

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad