Considering moving back to the uk, should we?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by andytse 4 yrs ago
I need some advice... I’m chinese, originally born in HK and grew up and lived in the uk till when I was 30 and returned to HK with my family. Before leaving the uk, I was a project manager working in the building industry till I was made redundant back in 2008.

The company laid off 50% of its staff, myself being one of them. What really made it worst was the fact that there were only 3 PM’s in the entire office, and they choose to lay off. Was it because I was chinese, not english, I don’t know, but this has been on my mind ever since. I never felt as a uk citizen since, even though being a full uk passport holder.

So when my girls were 3 and 1, and with the booming Chinese economy and the fact that I always felt not knowing chinese myself, we decided to move back to HK so the girls can grow up and learn chinese and also learn that they are chinese. Anyway, back to my current dilemma, when we left, we actually decided that it was for only 10 years, that’s August 2020.

I currently have a good job here in HK, with a good package and well respected within the industry. But is it a good time or in fact just a good idea to keep to my original plan of returning to the uk?

Is the economy in the uk good, especially the building industry, should I give my my current post in HK, even though the pay is almost similar or slightly more when compared to the uk with an equivalent post, should I do it for my girls so they can get a uk education?

So many questions. Would be grateful to hear some advice. Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
bananaq 4 yrs ago
suggest that you stay where you belong and feel comfortable.

JC3210 4 yrs ago
Hi ANDYTSE

I suppose that the great Chinese philosopher Mengzi might have said that this is a decision of both the head and heart.

I suggest you should throw your 10-year plan out the window and take a fresh look at things. I say this because things have changed a lot since you left the UK. For example, you have a good job with contacts in your industry. Also, your daughters are growing up in a wonderful culture, learning Chinese and can benefit from the booming economy. You didn't mention you're wife/partner.

You could start by asking yourself "Do I miss the UK?". If the answer is no then you, personally, may well regret moving back. You mentioned your daughters' education and I understand that. However, it wouldn't be good if YOU yourself were unhappy there. That would obviously be bad for you, your family, your job, etc.

Finally, you asked about the UK economy. As I now live in the UK (I used to live in HK) I can say that the economy was in good shape, with low unemployment. Obviously the economy has been affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, but this will pass and things should get back to normal. I don't work in your field, so I can't really be specific. I have noticed that some construction projects have stalled, while others are still in progress. Anyway, you've probably put your plans on hold at the moment until things return to normal.

--

Just to say a little bit about myself. I lived in HK for a few years (1997-2001). I'm now back in the UK - a move that I've regretted ever since.

I hope that my thoughts above will help and good luck with everything.

JC

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad