Best Credit Card for Asia Miles?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by chinacrisis 16 yrs ago
I know this is a relative question, but appreciate any ideas as I weigh up various credit card offers. Thanks

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 16 yrs ago
I have the UOB Black Card and it has a wicked programme - when buying something in HK you get one Air Mile for every HKD8 spent but when overseas its $6/1AM. Unfortunately I am told they are discontinuing this card in HK.

SG Ed has been hunting around and I think he's determined the new Cathay Pacific/Amex card has the best ratio. Not sure the details though...

Keep in mind there are other benefits beyond this ratio - agree - this is a very interesting topic

Ed 16 yrs ago
Hey there - do you mind if I change your title to Best Credit Card for Asia Miles?

I have this new (and exciting) tool that allows me to make threads appear on the home page if I think the content is compelling (and exciting) but if I put on the home page I need to keep the title brief so it fits.

chinacrisis 16 yrs ago
OK, that should get more eye balls. Yes, I am considering the CX Amex which as an existing Amex member will give $4 = 1 mile local spending and $2 = 1 mile for overseas in the first 4 months up to a limit. I'd like to work out what 1 mile is in HK$ to see if it makes up for the poor overseas exchange rate offered by credit cards...

Ed 16 yrs ago
I have used my new Power to move this to the home page.

Ed 16 yrs ago
Here's some PR re: the CX/Amex Card - the mileage award info is towards the bottom:

American Express and Cathay Pacific have formed a strategic partnership to launch premium co-branded credit cards in Asia Pacific - the American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card and the American Express Cathay Pacific Credit Card. The two new cards, which will carry an array of rewards and special offers, are being launched initially in Hong Kong and Taiwan, with plans underway for other Asian markets.

The American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card and the American Express Cathay Pacific Credit Card are tailor-made for travelers, The Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles members. The co-branded credit cards offer them a faster way to earn flight awards and a wide array of lifestyle awards with all spending on the card automatically transferred into Asia Miles while enjoying an array of exclusive privileges and world class services.

“American Express Hong Kong starts a new chapter today by becoming the only Hong Kong co-brand card partner of Cathay Pacific, one of the world’s leading airlines and home carrier of Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific is a long-time business partner of American Express and we are pleased to take our partnership to new heights through this strategic card alliance,” said Mr. Yat-chung Koh, Senior Vice President & General Manager, Greater China and Southeast Asia, American Express International, Inc.

Dominic Purvis, General Manager Cathay Pacific Loyalty Programmes, added, “We have long recognised that our frequent travelers need a credit card that offers them attractive opportunities to earn miles as well as supporting them when they travel. We have worked hard with American Express to create a card which brings Cardmembers Marco Polo Club membership, free auto mileage conversion, worldwide lounge access through Priority Pass and Plaza Premium Lounge, bonus Asia Miles as well as discounted fees for various Cathay Pacific and Asia Miles services.”

The new co-branded credits cards allow Cardmembers to automatically transfer their card spending into Asia Miles and earn exclusive bonus Asia Miles when spending on Cathay Pacific services, helping them redeem flight awards faster and easier.

Asia Miles can be earned in a number of ways exclusive to the Basic Card member of the new credit cards:

- One Asia Mile for every HK$8 in local spend

- Two Asia Miles for every HK$8 in overseas spend (for American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card)

- Two Asia Miles for every HK$5 spent on Cathay Pacific inflight sales purchases (with a minimum net purchase of HK$500)

- Double Asia Miles for booking Cathay Pacific flights online at cathaypacific.com

- Extra 1,000 Asia Miles for booking a ‘Discover the Difference Selection’ package from Cathay Pacific Holidays

- Earn up to 68,000 Asia Miles in the first four months:

- Double Asia Miles earn rate

- Take Off Bonus of 1,000 Asia Miles for Marco Polo Club members or online applications made before August 16, 2008

- Supplementary Card Bonus of up to 1,000 Asia Miles when applying for 2 fee-free supplementary cards at the same time as the Basic Cardmember

- Activation Bonus of 6,000 Asia Miles for first purchase (for American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card with a minimum card spending of HK$100)

The new co-branded credit cards will offer the recognition and privileges that come with American Express Card membership, as well as a wide range of exclusive benefits including:

- Complimentary Green tier membership to The Marco Polo Club for the Basic Cardmember

- Free membership to Priority Pass for Basic Cardmember providing unlimited access to over 500 VIP airport lounges worldwide, and unlimited access of Plaza Premium Lounge for both Basic and Supplementary Cardmembers (for American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card)

- Exclusive 10% discount for Basic Cardmember on the purchase of Asia Miles Gift Miles, Mileage Renewal fee, and Mileage Transfer fee when conducting the transactions online through asiamiles.com

- No Worries Guarantee bringing greater shopping satisfaction and security to Cardmembers

- Concierge service providing restaurant referrals & reservations, flower delivery, and information on events and shows

- Travel Accident Insurance with coverage up to HK$3.5 million

- Travel Inconvenience Protection with coverage up to HK$10,000 per year

Three Million Asia Miles Lucky Draw

From now until 31 December 2008, every time Cardmembers spend with their American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card or American Express Cathay Pacific Credit Card, their names will be entered into the “3 Million Asia Miles Lucky Draw” with a grand prize of 1,000,000 Asia Miles, which is enough for 4 First-Class round-trip tickets to New York or 8 First-Class round-trip tickets to Sydney.

chinacrisis 16 yrs ago
Appreciate if anyone has done the research as to how much 1 Asia mile is worth? I guess it depends on what you spend it on, but assume flights.

Dive bum 16 yrs ago
If you are really interested in this subject you should check out the flyertalk website and go to their Marco Polo chat room. Lots and lots of posts about best cards to max out on Asia miles.

chinacrisis 16 yrs ago
OK will do. But in the meantime, I've done the maths. Use a business class return to London as the benchmark. This costs either $46,440 or 100,000 asia miles. That means 1 asia mile is equivalent to $0.4644

So under the best offer for the Amex CX card where you get 1 mile for every $2 spent (double asia miles in first 4 months) - that is equivalent to almost a 25% rebate!!!!

Under more normal circumstances of 1 mile for $8 spent locally, that's equivalent to almost a 6% rebate.

Not bad, considering most cards in Hong Kong don't have any spending rebate.

DaHKGKid 16 yrs ago
To my best calculation for value of goods redeemed on AM website, 1 AM = 0.054 HKD. For upgrades from EC to BC flights it is much better say 1AM = 0.35 HKD.

marcusboy 16 yrs ago
Hi all,

I just received my CX AMEX but was disapppointed when I was not able to purchase an air ticket online - the webiste indicated VISA/MC. The secuirty code on AMEX is also 4 instead of 3 digits.

Another point what is the best strategy to use AM for rdeeming flights? I wanted to redeem a return flight to LA for Late July and still never got it after waiting for 6 months. Is there any truth in redemption of flights especially for peak seasons?

bob the builder 16 yrs ago
It is almost impossible to use Asia miles to redeem flights. When you consider the fuel costs etc involved, the airlines are very reluctant to 'give away' flights. You're better off using your points to buy 'gifts' or limo service to the airport.

RichardHK 16 yrs ago
Yes Bob, every time I have tried to use Asia Miles to redeem flights I cannot for various reasons. One big con as far as my experience goes. End up redeeming miles for junk I do not really need when the deadline approaches.

ldavy 16 yrs ago
You can get free flights using Asia Miles but you have to book a long time in advance. Call the hotline, don't do it online. Call early in the morning and be prepared to wait for a long time. Occasionally - not always, for some reason - you get a voicemail message and a promise that they will return your call by the end of the next working day. They do.

It still might not work though. I was trying to book a flight a couple of months ago and the hotline guy said there was nothing available at the time I wanted. My travel agent wasn't interested in helping. Then I rang another travel agent, recommended to me, and she got me the dates I wanted immediately. I don't know why this would be, as she told me she had just rung the same number. Maybe Cathay reserve some flights for travel agents, although why they would bother to do this with free flights is beyond me.

dbg 16 yrs ago
Standard Chartered Amex has great deals for Asia Miles, up to at least 40,000 miles

Sashimi Girl 16 yrs ago
if you are interested, using asia miles to upgrade is much more do-able than using them to redeem tickets. usually if it's a long weekend, xmas, easter or any other time alot of people are flying, it is impossible to use miles to redeem full tickets. as for upgrading, they will do it for you no problem if there is no-one else in that seat. as why wouldn't they, really, no loss for them. worth it for long haul flights but not so much for short haul. :)

estfair 15 yrs ago
I had a bad experience with AMEX marketing. They were very desperate to sign me up for amex cathay pacific, and persuaded me to disclose my personal information. They knew I am a housewife from our conversation, but once the application was processed, they told me the terms were different as I am a housewife. I no longer met their requirements!! It seems the marketing people are desperate to meet their targets, and will say anything to persuade you to apply, even if they know you will be rejected. I wonder if these aggressive tactics are due to the fact AMEX are in big financial strife back in the USA?

Anyway, they have all my information now, which they will no doubt sell on to some marketing organization. This way they can profit from me whatever happens.

Lovely people!!

el23149155 12 yrs ago
Wow, this is really great! I am looking for these kinda data for ages. Thanks el!

downwater 12 yrs ago
AE Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card

Welcome offer: Spend 8,000 = 8,000 Asia Miles

http://www.mmhome.com/mmh/eng/card/d/credit-card-american-express-platinum-card-american-express-ae-cathay-pacific-elite-credit-card

Daily Spending:

Local (HKG) $8 = 1mile

Overseas $8 = 2 miles

You may compare other cards here at http://www.mmhome.com/mmh/eng/card

CW@HK 12 yrs ago
What AMEX also dont tell you is that they charge 2% on any overseas transaction which VISA do not. I'm sure it is in the fine print but I didnt read that!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad