Import Motorcycle to HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by HKNEWBIE23 7 yrs ago
Hi All

Looking for some help and advice on importing my bike and car into HK (trying to bring both!) and as such seems I can only get emissions/noise exemption for one vehicle.

Would plan on applying for the exemption for the car as I would hope the bike would meet emission standards anyway. My questions are

1) How can I find out if my bike would meet the standards (Euro 3 I believe)? The bike has never been modified in any way. No point considering if it would fail......
2) Is this just a generic cert for the make/model/year that I need to obtain in my home country or in HK?
3) or is it a bike specific test? carried out at a test centre in home country or HK?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

ED's NOTE:  We have a comprehensive guide to owning and importing motorcycles into Hong Kong here.    You may also contact these HK relocation companies as they will be able to provide you with specific costs including any import fees and taxes that might apply when brining a motorcycle into HK.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
D-Man 7 yrs ago
Hi, if the car is a diesel Euro 3 you can NOT import it to HK as a private car. If the car is a petrol car then you need to make sure it is all original, matching number, has original seat belts with safety labels, the correct window safety label and all supporting documents. You will need to also provide a receipt of purchase or potential get a valuation done in HK then will be subject to first registration tax, 45% for the first HK$150K, 60% for the nest $150K and %100 over that. The car will need to be registered with customs within 30 days. Unless the car is over 20 years old you can not get emissions exemption so it will need to go through emmisions test via the environmental department. You can have an emmisions test done in your home country prior to shipping also, this may be accepted. The vehicles also have to be deregistered in the home country prior to shipping.

The bike however is possible if it is all original and you have all the original registration documents etc. You will need to take it to the govt MOT test center for a full road worth inspection. You also need to declare it to customs with in 30 days of arrival in HK. There is a 40% first registration tax on the vehicle also. You will need to provide purchace receipts, shipping costs etc as they calculate the whole cost into the valuation.

Hope that helps.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad