Question for American citizens

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by gmckail 13 yrs ago
We are getting conflicting information regarding local adoption for U.S. citizens. We live in HK, and we are American, but we were told that we need to get permission from the U.S. Consulate before we can adopt locally here in Hong Kong. Is this true? I would like to connect with an American citizen that has gone through the process. Thank you in advance.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Lawrence24 13 yrs ago
Yes I reckon this is true, they will advise you if the child is eligible for American citizenship for one thing. I know a few countries who don't always see the process of adoption as automatic for citizenship.

daniellereed 13 yrs ago
Yes this is very true. I have adopted 2 children and there are many loop holes you need to jump through first. Best of luck

yon 13 yrs ago
Do call the US Consulate

gmckail 13 yrs ago
I called the U.S. consulate and what they will do is direct you to the websites that will give you a lot of technical information. You won't actually get a person on the phone that will answer all of your questions. They don't want to deal with it, so they give you the link instead. Once you go to the site, it explains the I800, and I600 forms and what you need to do.

AEasiaxpat 12 yrs ago
Hi,

I have gone through the process. As far as I know, there is only one agency in Hong Kong and it's a NGO, International Social Service Hong Kong Branch - Intercountry Adoption Programme

6/F Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Rd, Wanchai. Tel (852)2834-6863

www.isshk.org

They were extremely helpful and assisted us with the whole process. Do give them a call to understand their services.

gmckail 12 yrs ago
Thanks for the information!

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad