Pregnant and moving to HK

Search  
ORIGINAL POST
Posted by fitzy_b 11 yrs ago
Hi All,

My wife and I are moving to HK in 4 weeks (from Aust), and we found out a few weeks ago that she is pregnant with our first (now 10 weeks along).

The private health plans I have looked at will not cover us for pre-existing 'conditions'.

Can someone please advise me where to get info on the following:

- is it possible to get private health insurance that will cover the pregnancy/birth costs?

- If not, what are the costs of public vs private hospital/doctor?

- What can I expect in public vs private hospital?

Any other information you can offer would be hugely appreciated.

We are both very very excited, but a bit scared too, particularly given the pending move.

Thanks in advance for your help

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Cluck 11 yrs ago
My last pregnancy in a private hospital (Matilda) cost us around 90k (hkd) all in. This was for a private room so you can do it slightly cheaper if you have a ward bed.

Once you have your I.D cards you can go into the public system (which is where you'd end up if there were any problems anyway / god forbid anything would though!). The private system is used by many expats too and is much cheaper. Don't quote me but a friend delivered her twins there and I'm sure it was just a few thousand dollars in total.

Congrats - there are plenty of people having babies here so your wife won't feel

Lonely and will make lots of new friends ;)

Cluck 11 yrs ago
Oh and most insurers won't cover it as you'd probably need to be covered for a min period first :(

fitzy_b 11 yrs ago
Thanks so much Cluck. My wife was concerned with the quality of care in HK public system, but I've assured her it's world class.

Her other concern is that the public system means being in a ward with a number of other new mums and limited visiting hours for me. She wants a private room, so I want to try and determine the most cost effective way to get that. Any advice appreciated. Thanks again.

fitzy_b 11 yrs ago
I'm also wondering if my Australian private health insurance will cover us in HK if we maintain the premiums until the birth. Of course I will call them to find out, but if anyone has a similar experience, i'd love to hear about it.

hostie 11 yrs ago
In the public hospital you will be on a ward with quite few others. You are also expected to take everything you need with you including toilet paper. The medical care is great but don't expect anything fancy and the visiting times are limiting.

For private care at the matilda you will be paying alot more than 90k for a private room. The room alone is 50k then onto you are looking at 40k for your doctor to just be there and then delivery package plus pediatrician which believe it or not was 12k so your are looking at about 120k. I had my son 4 weeks ago there in a twin room and my bill was 102k for a normal delivery. The care is excellent and its more like a hotel. Let me know if you want anymore info. congrats on your pregnancy

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad