Working mums-to-be and morning sickness

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Penelope_inHK 12 yrs ago
I am so nauseous and exhausted I actually want to die. I say this with all sensitivity to those ladies here who are TTC - this was me for 5 years too - but now that I am finally pregnant I am a miserable wreck.

Any tips from other working mums-to-be on how to get through this hideous nausea while at work? I am in a fairly senior role and obviously nobody in work knows I am pregnant yet and running to the bathroom every 5 minutes with a green face is starting to look unprofessional. I am getting the sarcastic "big night?" questions once too often. Giving up work is not an option.

Suffering horrible, horrible nausea and constant migraines and total exhaustion... please tell me it gets better in the second trimester? Why did no one warn me it was this bad?? Have seen a doctor who told me to take panadol for the migraines (doesn't even touch the sides) and to get more rest (not gonna happen in my job).

Any advice? Or even sympathy? Is there such a thing as PRE-natal depression??

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
AaliyahM 12 yrs ago
Hi, I've just recovered from my morning sickness a week ago so I know what it feels like.

At a senior position, you'll need to share this good news with your boss. It's okay if others "talk" because they'll soon find out why anyway but you must let your boss know. That way, you are protecting yourself by law should you need to take time off during the course of your pregnancy.

Doctors are happy to write you a sick leave on the days you cannot attend work. The trick is, it's sooooo tough to even walk up to the doctor's office.

There are medications that doctors can prescribe if you feel you cannot cope.

I too suffered daily migraines and I couldn't eat for 15.5 weeks. I had no cravings for anything because I was so sick. I lost 4kg since the beginning of my pregnancy. I'm slowly putting the weight back on now but I have to say that I'm still not 100% okay. I am now 17 weeks.

Unfortunately, I also felt I couldn't cope during the 15.5 weeks so I don't know how to advice you. Everyday was a torture. I had all day sickness. Worse of all, I had to walk in the hot sun for 20 minutes on my way to work. I would throw up as soon as I got to work. I ordered my lunch at work and the smell made me sick. They said to snack on dried crackers but I couldn't stomach those either. Everything suddenly tasted too sweet. My appetite's back (from 0% to 50% - that's good enough for me) but I have to say that I am still not enjoying my pregnancy. I'm soooo tired daily as well. I have two kids at home. I didn't get morning sickness with the eldest. Having morning sickness and caring for two kids as soon as I get home from work is tiring. During the weekends, I couldn't get out of bed.

There were days (maybe daily???) that I felt I couldn't cope and would burst out crying. Yeah, I knew it would pass but I hated not knowing when it would dstop and I hated that it went on and on for months.

But now that the worse of it is over, I feel a lot calmer, I'm not crying anymore and I feel like I can actually cope. All I can say is hang in there. It is tough but eventually it'll stop. My second I was sick until 17 weeks and then it suddenly disappeared. For this pregnancy, I was sick until 15.5 weeks and it's wearing off. I'm at 17 weeks now.

Good luck.

Please support our advertisers:

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad