SINGLE adoption in or from HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by kellyatm 17 yrs ago
Hi -

I was approved by the SWD for HK adoption 14 months ago after the necessary Home Study, medical, references etc.... I have been fairly open to consider a range of children.

At 41 and being non-Chinese, however, it seems that my application is no nearer being successful as in every case a 'more suitable' parent is found. I am feeling a little despondent, especially since the PRC has since closed its borders; part of me wonders if the whole thing has been a waste of time, especially as I had to undertake in the meantime not to get pregnant.

Does anyone know of any agencies that deal with adoptions from elsewhere? My Social Worker recommended the ISS but this was fruitless as the ISS contact told me that none of the countries they deal with are adopting to single parents these days!

Any suggestions? Many thanks, Ana

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
JDee 17 yrs ago
Hi Ana,

Have you spoken to Megan McGinn? She is an American social worker and adoption consultant who is based in HK. She mainly works with American citizens though I know in some cases she may be able to work with other nationalities. She can provide home study services in HK.

If you can't work with SWD or ISS you may have to do an independent adoption directly from an Orphanage. I think Megan has worked with some families who have adopted from Vietnam into HK so that might be an option for you. She may be able to suggest other countries based on the other families she has worked with. I have included her website link here:

http://www.homestudyinasia.com/ She should have her email address on there.

You can also contact the Adoptive Families of HK - they may know of someone who has already done what you want to do:

Tina Thomas, AFHK Chairperson http://www.afhk.org.hk/ or email info@afhk.org.hk

Hope that helps. Good Luck.

JDee

squiggles 17 yrs ago
have you contacted Mothers' Choice based Kennedy Rd/ Bowen Rd? not sure if they do adoptions differently from the ISS or SWD. I know at least one single non-chinese lady who got her baby through there...but that was a couple of years ago so I don't know what the protocl there is now or what the wait list is like either.

kellyatm 17 yrs ago
Thanks very much to you both, this is a real help. My social worker is lovely but I think it is a good idea to look at the other options. I did start with Mother's Choice but this option is definitely through the SWD. A single friend did adopt about two years ago, but I have been told that only 4 kids - one much older than my pref and the other 3 with special needs - have been given to singles in the past year.

kellyatm 17 yrs ago
Hi iso-no awabi,

The thing is I have not been refused - I could just wait forever! The non-Chinese is single is always bottom of the list, and what the SWD considers the better options for parents, namely 1) chinese married 2) non Chinese married and 3) Chinese singles will always get the child first. A married couple (category 2) I know who applied after me were placed after just a month. Ye I have full time job on a great campus where I finish teaching at 1.30, will have a helper and even my mum has offered to come here to help. I am not cohabiting. Thanks for your good wishes.

Ana Kelly 16 yrs ago
After being approved for adoption for 2 years in HK , and applying well before that, I have thrown in the towel and will try my luck in the UK as in the meantime the doors have closed to single adopters in many Asian locations. Here is a copy of the mail to my social worker. I would advise single applicants be wary of putting too much hope in a HK adoption.

Dear Ms Tang,

Thank you for your kindness in supplying this information. I will start to enquire about getting the police clearance and hope, if necessary, it is ok to come back to you if there is any information further that the Police need?

I have decided to remain here in the UK and to abandon the Hong Kong adoption application, as I fear that I may never be placed with a child in Hong Kong given the situation as explained to me by yourself and Ms Lam. As you know, I loved my job in Hong Kong and the campus would have been a lovely, child-friendly place and my afternoons free, so the decision to resign was not taken lightly; however, I needed to be free to return to the UK given the increasingly difficult situation for single adopters.

However, without a full income here or the ability to commit to a year's teaching load right now, things could be equally difficult and it seems - ironically - that there are a lot of applicants for adoption here in the UK too. Thankfully though, here I have the support of my family and my nieces and nephews (now increased to 2 nephews!) around, who will no doubt be supportive if I am forced to give up!

This has been a very difficult decision to make. I would ask very sincerely that current single applicants are very clearly told from the outset of the difficulties, as I already know of current single applicants in Hong Kong who have moved to bigger apartments and suchlike in the hope of securing a placement. I feel they may be likewise disappointed and may well have had more success pursuing other options either abroad or in their home countries. I am happy for my particulars to be shared.

Also, I did receive some excellent advice from Christine in the overseas adoption service in Hong Kong, which -- if I had talked to her earlier -- may well have changed my application details (for example, about the benefits of an older child in Hong Kong, which I had not considered until this year). Thanks for giving me this contact, I do think that other single applicants might also find talking to Christine (whose family name I do not remember, sorry) useful.

I hope that you will be kind enough to pass on my feedback to the SWD generally, and again accept my thanks for your kindness and help.

All the best,

Ana

Ana k 10 yrs ago
HAPPY IN THE UK!

Hi, just, belatedly, to confirm that the Social Services in the UK were true to their word ...and transparent in all decisions. I was advised that I would be more easily placed with a child aged 3 or above and I am happy to say that I have been the proud, loving mummy of a fantastic little boy for over 3 years now. He will be 7 this year. We live in the UK and it was hard to have to move from HK, but totally worth it. There are so many kids in here in the UK that need a loving home. My son has come along so well, and is now top of his class and a funny, confident little fella. I am so lucky. The adoption process was fairly smooth here in the UK and been made easier of late. I hope the SWD have changed in their approaches to single adopters... I did not get a reply to my letter, but it has thankfully all worked out well in spite of the time wasted waiting in HK. Good wishes to all adopters x

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad