Toilet training advice please!

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by littlebean 12 yrs ago
Hi, our puppy is 3 months old boy (toy poodle) and he came to us a week ago.

We started toilet training the day he arrived, and it's been a week. However, he just doesn't have any clue where he can pee and pooh. I might be doing wrong but here is what I do

1. He wakes up around 6~7:00 am, so we take him out of small cage (carriage cage) and move into a bigger cage (2 pet toilet sheets size), then keep him in there for a few min. He does pee there.

2. take him out of the cage and feed & play for about 2 hours.

3. put him back in the smaller cage for rest.

4. take him out of the smaller cage and move into him a bigger cage for pee.

As soon as we put him in the bigger cage, he does pee. but when we take him out to play, he pees and poohs everywhere. We do have small toilet in the room, and I take him to the toilet when he started squashing for pooh.

I never scold him when he does that in the living room. I quietly clean the mess and take him to his toilet and tell him "this is your toilet".

I don't like to keep him in a cage but unless he is toilet trained, I have to keep him in there...

Any advice what to do please. or if anyone knows a dog school where they can give him toilet training, please let me know where... I'm in Midlevel East.

Many thanks.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Devon 12 yrs ago
Do you take him outside?

littlebean 12 yrs ago
No, not yet. He has to get the 3rd vaccination before going out - due in June.

Devon 12 yrs ago
I would try putting him back in the larger cage after playing instead of straight into the small one because he's already associated the larger cage as the place to pee and pups tend to pee/poop after sleeping/playing. Exercise gets the bowels moving. Where you take him to the toilet area for a poop (where he starts showing signs of wanting to poop), pick him up, or lead him back to the large cage. Because he's already engaged in the pooping behaviour, he might poop in the large cage. It'll be a tad confusing for him to be sleeping in one cage then peeing in another, but since he's already peeing in it he may poop as long as you watch him carefully and quickly take him back to the cage. Any signs of wanting to poop outside the cage, take him back. If he does poop (he can't hold on forever) then praise him or give him treats.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad