Anyone tried ACORN Veterinary Clinic

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Kathy.L 13 yrs ago
Hi,

Currently I always take my dog to The Ark Vet, but I heard people say that Acorn veterinary clinic in Sai Ying Pun is good, and more reasonably priced. Has anyone been there? Are they expensive?

Thanks in advance

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Pumpkin Girl 13 yrs ago
It's very new. I have a friend who has pets and lives nearby. She popped in to say hello and said the person there was quite rude and unhelpful. She was really disappointed and doesn't feel much like giving them a second chance.

maverick 13 yrs ago
I live by and popped in the other day with my dog for a vaccination. I was very impressed with the vet - he was very informative and friendly. I was told that he used to be the head surgeon of the SPCA. When I was there, a lot of people associated with animal charities came in - i think the alley cat and also the dog charity. Apparently, the hospital does charity work for these types of organisations - nice touch I thought - better than a lot of vets who seem to be just after the money.

brennan 13 yrs ago
Hi ,

We live in Kennedy Town with 2 dogs and 1 cat and always see the Ark.The quality of service and their facilities are great.Its so good to know that there are 24 hours open .We had to use the clinic very frequently with our pets and found out how useful it is to have Oxygen cages,digital xray and state of the art facilities.We have never been dissapointed.Regarding price -I guess quality matters -so I don t mind paying for good quality .A friend of mine went to Acorn vets and they found the facilities and quality of service poor.Yes,it is cheaper but that is not the most important thing for my me and my pet.

Kathy.L 13 yrs ago
Thanks everyone! I will definitely continue using The Ark Vet

Jenny Taylor 13 yrs ago
I use Happy Valley Veterinary Clinic - they are great. In HK, I have found most vets have good equipment like xrays, ultrasounds and also have an emergency facility. This clinic also has a CT scan (rare in HK) which was useful for my dog when he broke his leg. I used to use the Ark but found them way overpriced in comparison to other veterinary clinics and most of their vets have just recently graduated and so lack experience, especially when dealing with more complicated medical or surgical cases such as broken bones.

A friend of mine went there recently around 3am in the morning and saw a rude vet for an emergency for her kitty. My friend had the impression that the vet was annoyed for being woken up! No doubt my friend was disappointed with the quality especially after such a big bill.

eileenm 13 yrs ago
I highly recommend Dr Tony Matthews at who took care of my very sick dog at the beginning of the year and now has opened his own practice, Acorn, in Sai Ying Pun. I am delighted he has moved into my neighbourhood as my newly adopted dog has taken to him immediately. He is a fine surgeon and has a very reassuring manner, both with dogs and humans. I am sad to see someones' friend had a negative impression and only hope they try Acorn for themselves so they can be more encouraging after personal experience.

SarahK77 13 yrs ago
I used to work with Dr. Tony Matthews...he used to be head surgeon at the SPCA and is most probably the best vet in town...well, one of the best! He's definitely well experienced, extremely generous, kind-hearted and explains things clearly.

On another note, if anyone is looking for a pet-sitter/dog walker, please let me know...I run a registered professional pet-sitting, dog walking and pet care consultancy service. I take care of your pet(s) and give advice to you in the comfort of your own home :)

HongKongDogRescue 13 yrs ago
We use Dr Tony at Acorn because he is very experienced and genuinely cares for the dogs. It's a new clinic and if Brennan thought the facilities were poor, it was almost certianly because the equipment hadn't yet arrived. They have all facilities including digital Xray now.

katjamp 13 yrs ago
Actually I think Acorn is very good, they have helped both of my pets and are very accommodating! I definitely rate them! They have been always helpful and friendly, easy to talk to etc. Tony repaired the patella on the dog we were fostering. In fact now that Andy is working there, I hear that the girls from HKDR are flocking there to gawp at him....

lyepeng 13 yrs ago
My 2 cats go to Acorn now. Dr Tony took a lot of time and trouble to give them a proper check-up and explain all the possible reasons for their condition without patronising me. I stopped going to The Ark years ago after they botched up an operation on one of my cats that left him limping and bleeding some months after the operation. When I took him back in a frightened state, the vet was completely cold and indifferent and didn't even want to touch my cat who was struggling because of the pain. On top of that, they had the cheek to charge me for the consultation and medication.

Brooklynexpat 13 yrs ago
Dr. Tony Matthews sounds like an excellent veterinarian. Does anyone have a link to their website ? Thank you.

Nefertiti 13 yrs ago
I switched vets this year and my dog is now under the care of Dr Tony Matthews.

She had to have her teeth cleaned and some removed and he did an excellent job with both. He is extremely thorough, gives you all possible scenarios and choices, he is informative and I felt my dog was in very good hands. He called as soon as the operation was over to reassure me all went well. His clinic is spotless and well managed.

My friend had recently an emergency with her dog and even though it was Dr Matthews' day off, he rushed back to the clinic to meet with her and her dog who had to have 7 stitches on her leg.

I recommend him without any reservation, as I am truly satisfied he gives the best of care to all pets.

amarriott 13 yrs ago
Dr Tony is great! He goes beyond the call of duty and really cares.

sungjaehk 13 yrs ago
I disagree with that.

He was so friendlies to all the westeners there, and it feel like he just want to get rid of me.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad