importing pets to HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by moonbeam 12 yrs ago
I know people have posted about this in the past...but i can't seem to find it... I'm looking for information on importing pets to HK from the USA. Has anyone done it? How much does it end up costing? Did you do the paperwork yourself? What exactly is needed?

any info would be great. thanks!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
tinalynn79 12 yrs ago
I imported 2 cats from the US. We had someone do the paperwork on the Hong Kong side and I did all the paperwork from my end in the US (we left from Miami). I also arranged travel as the cats travelled by themselves to my husband who was already here. I think we could have done all the Hong Kong paperwork but didn't want to take any chances.

We used ferndale kennels as the company who imported. I think they charged about 3500 HKD. They will alos provide a door to door quote if you want them to take care of everything in the US as well.

The cats traveled cargo on AA/Cathay Pacific and it cost about $900 USD. Of course this does depend on the weight of the animal.

Feel free to message me if you have additional questions.

joe317 12 yrs ago
i imported four poodles from US before, i arranged all the paperwork here by myself (not complicated at all), the breeder in Texas will book the flight for me, my pet needs to fly from Texas to NY, stay there for one night before coming to HK, the freight charges include one night dog hotel in NY is around US$ 850 (for a teacup poodle weight about 1 kg), i will pick up my poodle when she arrives HK, of course you can have a "pet moving" company to do the paperwork and pick up for you, few years ago, they quoted me around HK$2,000, but i can tell you that the import license fee from AFCD is only HK$432 per pet, and the rest of the documents are from either the breeder, let me know if you still have any questions

Glasgow 12 yrs ago
We've imported pets twice from the UK to here and exported them once. A few points: (1) Ferndale, as suggested above, is a reputable mover. (This time my new employer is a US company and they used World Care Pet which did a decent job too.) (2) if you are bringing in dogs remember to get a dog licence. The first time we came here we did the paperwork ourselves so we didn't have a company organising that last bit. (3) if your dogs are larger than poodles expect to pay a lot more. Crates are based on animal size (obviously) and have certain legally specified minimum sizes. Happy to recommend vets/kennels etc should you wish. Good luck.

Lawrence24 12 yrs ago
Very easy no problems paperwork etc all DIY stuff if you have the time and it doesn't take hardly any, contact the AGFD for easy step by step details and forms. if you have someone in the US that also knows the routine it will be much easier. Be very careful about the chip you have implanted into your dog as HK doesn't recognise all types of chip or at least is all to eager to redo it once they arrive for a price. Why they dont just do it and forget it as a requirement I dunno. One chip is bad enough.

lys89 10 yrs ago
Hi, we are moving to HK from AUS soon, we are bring our dog (staffordshire bull terror) about 12 kg's over. Can anyone recommend kennels and an Australian recognised vet? We are going to be located in DB.

It would be great if anyone could offer us some information.

Thanks,

Alyssa

maxis 10 yrs ago
I use Petworld at Kam Tin for my dogs. They love it, swimming pool, nice rooms, air con in summer, play time.

My vets are Aussies, Victoria Clinic at Yuen Long.

These arent near DB though.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad