Advice importing a dog into HK

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Rds32 11 yrs ago
Can someone tell me the best way to get a dog into HK? My dog is 9 years old, so she will not do well flying Cargo but unfortunately, I am not spending $3,000 USD to ship her. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 11 yrs ago
http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/directory/expat-services-directory/pet-shops-services-relocation/

Also try http://www.hongkongmovingcompanies.com/

joe317 11 yrs ago
according to the AFCD laws in HK, you need to ship your dog to HK by cargo, don't be scare by the word "cargo", my four poodles were from US, they fly fro Texas to NY, stay at a dog hotel at NY airport for one night, then take the CO directly flight to HK (about 17 hours fly), one of them is a tiny teacup poodle, only weighted 1 kg, she arrived in good shape, according to the breeder, one night hotel stay in NY plus one way ticket to HK is only US$850 and not 3,000

Where are you going to ship your dog from ?? you can prepare the documents on your own, not complicated at all and you can save up the cost via dog moving company, I think they will charge you around HK$2 - 3,000 for this, I did the application and documents on my own

Rds32 11 yrs ago
Thank you so much for the reply. Did you use a company? My dog can come from Tampa, Florida or Moscow Russia. We live in Moscow now, but we are from Florida and can go back to avoid the restrictions if need be.

Remykins 11 yrs ago
All animals must be in cargo- I just transported a dog and cat. It was not easy at all-

I hired a service, and compared their docuements to the ones I had done- just to see if I could have done it myself and nope- It would of ended up extremely bad. According to the customs agent here it would have been quarentined or sent back.

(my issue came with block letters at vets health certificate and USDA stamp in a timely manner).

But it depends on where you are coming from. We used Pet Recolation. The one thing I can say, is in any case- docuemnt or not- many, many times, weather is a issue. If the weather is bad- you fly out- but they dont allow animals in the cargo. Them who will stay back with them until you can book them another flight?a service takes care of everything- we had to reschule the pets flights three times at no charge to us to get them to HK in a timely manner when things got complicated.

xterrra888 11 yrs ago
http://www.afcd.gov.hk/English/quarantine/qua_ie/qua_ie_ipab/qua_ie_ipab_idc/qua_ie_ipab_idc.html

Check this out it has all the countries allowed to import from and also the vaccines proof you need when you collect your dogs in HK. I brought my two dogs from the states via a direct flight n they had to be in cargo. there is also a specific requirement to the spaces you should leave the dogs inside their cage. it wasn't that complicated as long as you make sure all vaccines n application are completed beforehand and make sure you have photocopies of them when you collect your dogs. Good luck!

gzgirl22 11 yrs ago
We brought our dog when we moved from Moscow but there is a quarantine so we first took him home to the US for a stay so that he could do an in home quarantine.

I advise you to fly him in cooler weather if possible for his comfort. The paperwork is not terribly complicated but must be done exactly as indicated or you can have problems. Check out the process first. I did it with mine and it only cost me 850 to send him plus some vet fees but it was a pain in the neck -- leave yourself adequate time as the govt office issuing the export certificate can get quite busy.

Rds32 11 yrs ago
Thank you so much for the reply...it is all very helpful.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad