cheap vet?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by jasponyx 15 yrs ago
any cheap but very good vets in Causeway Bay - Sogo area?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Ed 15 yrs ago
Have a look here http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/directory/expat-services-directory/pet-care-pet-shops/

Pumpkin Girl 15 yrs ago
Ed

I know you want to promote those who pay you but keep it real here!

There are no vets in those listings.

The guy is looking for a vet - so let's assume his pet needs medical care.

So you've directed him to someone who can wash and groom his pet, someone who can relocate it overseas, someone who can sell it a delicious pet cake and some gorgeous accessories and someone who can take its photo.

But no-one who can attend to its medical needs.

If a human asked for details of a doctor in Causeway Bay would you point him / her in the direction of a hairdresser / spa, a removals company, a department store and a photography studio?

Jasponyx, I don't have any recommendations right in the Sogo area but a little further afield, try the following. Both are very supportive of our wonderful animal welfare orgs in HK.

Chris and Nicola's Animal Hospital

G/F, 37 Wing Hing Street, Tin Hau

 2570 6048

Dr Hans De Vries, Tai Hang Veterinary Clinic

G/F, 9 Wun Sha Street, Tai Hang

 2577 5755

Ed 15 yrs ago
Please do feel free to recommend a vet - I am just drawing attention to the fact that we have some options in our A-Z

Pumpkin Girl 15 yrs ago
Thanks for not removing my post this time Ed.

However, I won't be asking you for a recommendation for a gyno as you might send me to a hairdresser instead. Barbers stopped doubling as surgeons centuries ago!

Devon 15 yrs ago
That's hilarious! I agree with Pumpkin Girl though Ed. So how about starting off with Pets Central as they have a few clinics around Hong Kong. Maybe readers could recommend their vet for listing?

hkbecky 15 yrs ago
My 6-year old cat died suddenly yesterday at Pets Central in Mongkok. I must say I was quite disappointed with the treatment I received from the support staff.

I know vetrinary clinics are businesses, but it wouldn't kill them to be a little more sensitive to a grieving owner. At any chance they got, they tried to add hidden charges (which I then disputed, eyes swollen) and even tried to make an extra buck by making me pre-pay for my cat's cremation.

Their insensitivity and also their useless and confusing accounting system made the grieving process even worse by having to dispute charges I didn't understand on my bill!

To make matters worse, when I tried to ask a few more follow-up questions about my cat (who died within 2 days of being hospitalised), the impatient nurse answered me with annoyance saying, "your cat has passed anyway, does it really make a difference what your test results were?"

I was too upset to complain at that time, but I will NEVER return to Pets Central. I have 6 cats (now) and they have just lost my business forever.

ELFBOY 14 yrs ago
I would see Dr. Susan at NP, recommended to me by a good friend of mine- never will see anyone else after her- She owned her own clinic before at kowloon area, was well know for kindness. She is not a rip off vet. She will give you plenty of choice and doesn't load you up.

pandabearest 14 yrs ago
Thanks

hkbecky 14 yrs ago
I've seen Dr. Susan before. She was alright and at least out of everyone at Pets Central she seemed to take some responsibility for the poor service provided to me by the Mongkok branch. She took the time to listen to me and hear me out. However, at the end of the day, not any real action was taken.

I would suggest you look for a good vet rather than a cheap one. They're all pretty much the same in terms of price ranging from $220-250 for the consultation and depending on the issue, the treatment costs may vary but only slightly. I have been to Tin Hau Pet Hospital, Central Pet Hospital, Peace Avenue, Pets Central, Valley Vet Centre and several other local ones. They're all roughly the same price. Choose a vet that can clearly explain to you what your pet is going through and someone who is responsible and caring. That's what I would do.

jasponyx 14 yrs ago
thanks for your replies! my pug had demodex but she's very much ok now. she was treated by dr. liu at central animal hospital near victoria park. each visit took around $1k - $2k. dr. liu had been a very good vet, but I really wish any of my dogs don't get sick again.

starries 14 yrs ago
Re the Ark... - I live on Lantau and usually go to Dr Joe or the SPCA ,but both were unavailable in thesick cat crisis So went to the Island vet first at Tung Chung which is part of the same Ark business .My cat died that night in the Ark hospital ,probably of rat poison .. am gutted.The cost? it was $1200 for the consult and some bloods and then another c $ 1300 for his short stay ....I thought that was steep but really was not going to argue as the care shown was first rate..and the $3K deposit (!) residue went to the cremation people at Kwai Chung. so that is over $4K ...of course if he had lived I would have never counted the cost...paid double or triple cheerfully...thats life and death in the pet world.

nermal 14 yrs ago
I agree with Hkbecky. The vet recommended cutting my dog's bum open to remove her anal glands because she kept licking her bum. Yes, instead of recommending dog food to firm up her stool, he told me to cut her open.

Davidklein 14 yrs ago
I have used Dr. Paul at Wanchai Animal Clinic for a few years now after trying out other vets. The staff are warm and friendly and the charges are very reasonable. Dr. Paul himself has always come across as patient and very competent. Good luck in your search :)

Amparo Kia 14 yrs ago
Finding a good vet in HK is as hard as hitting the mark six... I have tried 3 vets and their real concern is if you can pay or do u have an insurance policy, and if you happen to have one, then they will charge you 150 more for consultation... if hospitalised, you need to pay HKD250 administration fee for asking the vet filling our the claim form...the list can go on and on...

hyperhippo 12 yrs ago
We use Nine Lives in Aberdeen St in Central and have been very impressed by the care and attention they have given our elderly cat. It's not cheap but they are willing to make time to really explain what is happening. Cats only.

ReneeC 12 yrs ago
We use Happy Pets Vet Centre in Tai Hang, and we're more than satisfied with their service. Price-wise they're reasonable. My dog has pet insurance, and they certainly don't charge me 250 to fill out the form.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad