Advice needed moving dog from HKG to UK ASAP

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Petz 13 yrs ago
Hi Everyone,

I have a 4-year-old dog that I have raised in HKG and I am moving back to England in a few months.

Please can someone give me the best advice regarding quarantine periods, pet passports, and being able to move it back to England as soon as possible? And approx. cost?

My dog is not alone very often and I do not keep it in a crate. It roams around my apartment if I am out and it doesn't destroy anything. However, it does exhibit signs of separation anxiety when I leave it alone outside of my apartment so I am very concerned about how a 12+-hour-flight may affect my pet.

As a result, I am wondering if any airlines allow a small toy breed to travel in a crate within the cabin as opposed to in the cargo hold and how much it costs?

Can anyone help as I have to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.

Thanks with regards,

Petz

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
sandiexxxx 13 yrs ago
For UK laws on Pets I cannot advice you. But, some airlines will allow small pets to travel in the cabin, if under 10 kilos. Go to the UK goverment website, or speak to Ferndale Kennels, they ship pets. I do know Thai Air allows small pets. & some American Airlines. According to the vets, the worst part for the dogs, is when they are boarded the plan on the luggage ramp, what you could ask, is could your transporter/vet give the dog a mild sedative for the journey, or if you are not happy with medicine, they say Bach Anxiety Remedy a few drops on the nose can help calm the dog.

Good luck with it all.

Petz 13 yrs ago
Thank you. I have already started the steps to obtain a pet passport for my dog.

The question now is finding an airline where my dog can travel with me in the cabin. I think that the DEFRA regulations are very strict in that if I were to transfer my dog via Thailand or elsewhere, it may take longer to take her home back to the UK (in terms of their regulations on which countries the animal passes through). AA might be an option but then that means having to spend even longer on a plane.

Any further suggestions?

Petz 13 yrs ago
Hi WTN,

Thanks for your very sound suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it.

My dog is a toy poodle and weighs in the region of 4KG.

I understand that the most common way of transporting the dog would be to have it in cargo but I have heard so many horror stories of dogs being traumatised, suffering from excess heat (or dying from the cold). I am not really sure what to do to be honest. It would be nice if there was a reputable company (esp. after the incident several years ago of the dog being lost at the airport and found dead nearby), to handle everything from door-to-door whilst giving the dog the most comfortable and pleasant journey possible. :/

Thanks again.

P

Petz 13 yrs ago
Hi WTN,

Thanks again. Your advice has been immesely helpful--I'm very grateful, cheers. I didn't know about flying a dog in the cabin as excess baggage, but that's probably because I've never seen it inflight. I do wonder, however, whether my dog is too big, but I guess I'll find out soon with more enquiries.

Regards,

Petz

Susie1 13 yrs ago
I don't think your dog can fly in the cabin on a long distance flight. Some airlines within Europe allow dogs under 10kg in the cabin on short distance flights.

We traveled from UK to Kg with our dog ( a Westie) and a cat, they had to travel in the luggage, I was worried this would have a bad effect on them, but I was reassured they would go to sleep on the journey, which I think they did. When they arrived in Hk they were delivered to us in DB, by the pet transport people, they were both in fine condition, very happy to see us again, and none the worse for their very long journey.

Preparing the pets passport can take around 6 months, from start to finish of the process, all the rabies jabs,micro chipping then a blood test at the end of all this to show they have immunity, plus the time it takes for the paperwork to be complete.

Brooklynexpat 13 yrs ago
I agree that George @ International Pet travel is awesome. I brought my dog over from America. Hong Kong requires all pets to fly as cargo but they are in a temperature controlled room and secured in a kennel. My dog has made the 15 hour trip to Hong twice with no problems. I was able to fly back home to America with her in cabin but most countries with strict pet quarantine procedures such as the UK only allow pets as cargo. I would highly recommend hiring a reputable pet moving service. This may cost extra but if you do it alone and mess up the paperwork your dog will end up in quarantine.

I moved my dog to Japan back in 2009. Japan, like the UK is a rabies free country so my dog had to get vaccinated, take blood tests and stay with friends here in Hong Kong for 6 months before I could bring her to Japan.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad