declawing cats

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Haleindia 14 yrs ago
I am thinking of having my 2 cats declawed as they are ruining everything! Anyone have a suggestion where to get this done? We have tried the training, etc and nothing has worked.

We live in midlevels, so somewhere handy would be great.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Lurcher 14 yrs ago
Geez, if it's not owners wanting to get their dog debarked, it's people wanting to declaw their cats!! IT'S CRUEL!!! Have you tried a scratching post? Google "how to stop cats scratching" and get information. I just did and found (among many sites) www.catscratching.com. There you'll find reasons why it's cruel and VERY painful and how to re-direct the (natural) behaviour of scratching to something like a scratching post.

CLM 14 yrs ago
I dont think you will find a vet in HK that will perform this mutilation. I have heard it is like having your fingers chopped off at the first knuckle.

Slammy 14 yrs ago
Hi Haleindia,

It's possible to train your cats not to scratch things by squirting them with water all the time.

Another alternative is to buy furniture that they don't like to climb on and scratch! We used to have material covered chairs with our dining table but now we've switched to leather-covered chairs that they don't scratch.

With our sofa, we discovered this kind of microfibre material which, even if the cats scratch it, doesn't look too bad. Of course, we try to teach them not to scratch the sofa.

And of course, provide them with plenty of places that they are allowed to scratch. Like scratching posts, or a little piece of carpet.

Declawing is very cruel for the cats.

dawsonscreek 14 yrs ago
There is a (mainly) cat shop shop on Cannon Street in Causeway Bay which sells the claw covers. I think you glue each one on to each claw and it's supposed to prevent shredding.

Slammy 14 yrs ago
But how does that work when the claws grow?

Do you need to keep reglueing them?

Incidently, that reminded me that a couple of times, we tried trimming the cats nails when they got too long. But then I found that this made the shredding on the furniture much worse so now we just leave their claws be, so when they do scratch, it's only tiny little points on the end of their claws that are scratching, as opposed to a more broad edge that we've trimmed... hope that helps...

dawsonscreek 14 yrs ago
I suppose it's like nail art for women. They have to be re-attached every so often.

Personally, it's not something I would use. I'm lucky to have cats that don't scratch and do too much damage, though they do like scratching my suitcase and slippers.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad