My Dog walks ME - Help!

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by tamaraj 12 yrs ago
I've had my dog Nigel since he was a puppy, now he is 9 or 10 months old. I adopted him back in the UK.

The first time I walked him (He was about 2.5/3 months old) he was excellent. He would always pay attention to me and the leash was always loose. It was like there was this invisible line in front of me the he wouldn't walk pass - he was really good.

Over time he started pulling more and more. Its actually embarrassing walking him now, I mean, when he's walking me. I have no idea how he got so incredibly bad.

I've tried to use some suggested methods like if we're going one way and he starts pulling, go the other way. Or the 'be a tree' method where you just stop when he pulls. I had a friend who had taken all three of her dogs to classes, and she told me what her trainer did with her dogs, but all that didn't work with mine. I've used a martingale collar, a regular collar and a harness, but the latter made him pull more!

No matter what he's wearing, he always pulls so much that he starts to weeze and cough, very loudly. He broke his trachea a couple months back, I'm surprised it isn't broken again.

I'm at my wits end with Nigel. Walking him used to be something I looked forward to everyday. Now its become somewhat of a chore. I know it is probably all my fault that he walks bad, because its almost always the owners fault. But I don't know what I did, and I don't know what to do now!

Should I try something like the gentle leader or easy walk harness? Will either of these even help?

I've thought about rehoming him several times, but honestly, that is the last thing I want to do. He's only about 26-28lbs and he's making my life a living hell.

If anyone has any advice/suggestions, please please please help me out! I love this dog to death, but I can't keep letting him drag me around when we're out for walks.

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the painfully long post.

Tamara

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Sapphire 12 yrs ago
Our older dog was just like this when she was younger. We tried the 'Halti Collar', which we bought in the UK (not sure if it's available in HK). It definitely helped to stop her from pulling so badly, but she hated wearing it and we gave up on it in the end. I took her to dog training classes and they advised me to try a specific all-in-one collar/lead, which was made of rope and was a bit like a noose at the end (although not a choker type of collar!). When walking (with the dog on your left hand side and the lead held in the left hand, with the slack held in the right hand), I was advised to have the dog on a very short leash (with my left hand very close to the collar) with the collar part quite high up on the dogs neck, and then gently pull upwards on the lead as the dog begins to pull. If the dog is pulling excessively, stop walking and make him sit and stay, then when he is calm, begin to walk again. Take a few small doggie treats in your pocket and reward him for good behaviour (dogs can learn very quickly!). It's also very important to be consistent when trying to teach your dog how to behave ... it can take weeks, or even months, depending on the dog. You can't try to reinforce good behaviour only some of the time ... you need persist with it at every single walk. It can be very frustrating, especially when you see other well behaved dogs walking with their owners, but with a dog of only 9 or 10 months old, he's still very young and if persist, you should be able to train him well ... Don't despair!! Good Luck!!

hkxxxpat 12 yrs ago
I think you and your puppy need professional training help (if you think of re-homing you really need to take action ASAP). The SPCA have various trainers, so you can start there, and others here will have suggestions I am sure. I am surprised the vet (given the injury) didn't give more help and offer a trainer's name.

Food seems to be the only thing though that gets the attenion of my dog. A tasty treat in the hand will keep him absolutely focused, till the treats runs out of course. So I'd say take lots of tasty treats, and only reward good behaviour, and be very patient.

I'd also think that you should be taking him for longer walks, though likely you want to do the opposite (understandably).

Ignore the embarassment, it is only if a danger (to you, him or others) that you should be concerned.

Good luck, and please report back with how you go.

tamaraj 12 yrs ago
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try that 'stop, heel' method out.

Has anyone taken their dogs to SPCA Training? Are they any good?

tonggau 12 yrs ago
I can highly recommend the Easy Walk harness. My 25 kg puppy also pulled terribly when I first started walking him. A regular collar was useless. Once I put the Easy Walk on him, he immediately stopped pulling and learnt to walk calmly at my side. The great thing about the harness is it controls your dog from the chest, instead of the neck, so it won't hurt him. Give it a try, and if not, suggest a dog trainer. Don't go near any one who suggests using a prong collar, though!

Amparo Kia 12 yrs ago
Tonggau, I just been told by a friend of the Easy Walk Harness and actually just order one for my dog. Will get it this Saturday, I have almost the same problem as OP, but mine is not as serious as OP's.

I do hope the harness works for me as it is for you!!

tamaraj 12 yrs ago
Unfortunatley, training classes aren't an option for me at the moment.

After doing a lot of research, I've finally decided to try out the Gentle Leader. I've read tons of reviews, 98% of people who have used it said it works. The only problem is I can't seem to find it anywhere in HK, and the brands site (Premier) doesn't ship outside the US.

Can anyone help?

btms2000 12 yrs ago
Hello,

I've seen "The Gentle Leader" at a pet store called "Pets Pets" on Belcher Street, Kennedy Town. If you want I'll give you the exact address just email or msg me.

They also sell another harness called the Lupi - and other "no-pull" harnesses which are designed to stop pulling as well. I haven't used the Gentle Leader before, but the Lupi worked pretty amazing for me ... on the other hand all dogs I've seen with Gentle Leader have been quite calm walkers also. Bring your dog to the store and try both - important thing is you introduce your dog to these as you do with the lead, slowly and with rewards so they see the lead as a positive thing.

In relation to dog pulling, I've had 3 dogs, all trained to receive their obedience titles, and trained them using both aversive (i.e. check chain) and positive reinforcement training (i.e. clicker and rewards based.).

THE BEST METHOD of "loose leash" walk training - by far - from my experience, is the method developed by Turid Rugaas, who is a dog behaviourist and trainer in Norway. It's outlined in her book "My Dog Pulls - What Do I Do" available from Amazon and downloadable via Kindle. It's a positive reinforcement based training.

Basically, the method is:

1. STOP when leash tightens or about tighten;

2. WAIT two seconds, stand still, say nothing;

3. MAKE clicking or smacking sound (I say high pitched "yip yip" as HK streets are noisy here) with tongue or lips;

When dog turns head:

4. PRAISE

5. WALK couple of steps in another direction (left, right, backwards)

6. FOOD reward for following.

The book goes into much more detail on how to condition your dog, problem solving, and how to use this technique properly. I highly recommend it, but give it around 30 days (studies show that for all breeds pulling goes down from about 70 times a walk to 1 time after 30 days of using this method CONSISTENTLY).

I've used ALL other methods before, check chain, heel work, walk other direction, every lead and harness known, and this method was by far the best in effectiveness and building a great relationship with my dog(s).

Good luck!

btms2000 12 yrs ago
I forgot to add:

With the Turid Rugass method, you want your REWARD to be "more enticing" than the STIMULUS causing the dog to pull.

For example, my dogs pull when they see other dogs, and I know my dogs that playing with other dogs is more interesting than a simple dog biscuit.

BUT, they will ignore other dogs if I have a piece of chicken breast. Therefore, when I am training them, I use chicken breast as the REWARD, and never give chicken breast at any other time except when I am training them loose leash walking.

Anyway, again I'd highly recommend you Google "Turid Rugaas" and her book, it really changed my ideas about "positive" dog training.

tamaraj 12 yrs ago
btms2000 - Thanks so much for all the advice, I'll definitely try that method.

I visited Pet Pet in Kennedy Town, but the man told me the Gentle leaders were sold out and doesn't know when they'll re-stock. Should I just settle for the Halti?

Leli07 12 yrs ago
Hi Tamara,

I recently ordered two Gentle leader Head collars from Pet Avenue HK.

You should send them an email.

Hazel 12 yrs ago
Are you having any of the following non-medical, behavioural problems with your puppy or dog: Aggression/ chewing/ barking/ toileting in the wrong place/ pulling on the leash/ fear of certain noises, objects, people or situations/ eating too much/ not eating enough/ self mutilation/ tail chasing/ obsessions?

I am a qualified dog behaviourist who teaches dog owners how to make subtle changes in their lifestyles and dog handling, so that they can communicate effectively with their dog(s) in a non-confrontational, reward based way, in a language their dog(s) will understand. This ultimately leads to them living a harmonious, long and happy life with their dog(s).

I run an Animal Welfare group in HK called HK Rescue Puppies. I have rescued/rehabilitated/fostered hundreds of puppies and dogs in HK over the past 6 years, so have experienced a large variety of behavioural issues. I have done a lot of research, practice and study into dog behaviour and different training methods and have found methods that really work. I completed 2 courses in the UK back to back, which were followed by months of graduation training. I am part of a worldwide group of dog behaviourists who help each other out with advice when necessary.

My clients can either pay a one off fee for lifetime back up or pay by the hour. NB. 10% of my fees will be donated to HK Rescue Puppies to help save more puppies and dogs lives.

If you are having problems with your puppy or dog(s) that you simply cannot cope with or you need some advice on, then please call Hazel on 2818-1598 or 9021-2472 (11 am to 6 pm only) or e-mail hkrescuepuppies@gmail.com. Woof Woof!

Devon 12 yrs ago
What qualifications do you have Hazel?

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad