Please Help Save My German Shepherd

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by isabelle 13 yrs ago
About 3 months ago, I was walking my German Shepherd, when an off-leash Chihuahua ran over and started attacking my dog. The owner didn't really bother running over to stop her dog from the attack, so I let my dog fight back. My dog bit the Chihuahua once, and then the dog fight stopped. Obviously her dog was more hurt than my dog, but it wasn't my dog that started the fight! She wanted compensation, and said that she needed to fly her vet friend over from USA, and also she requested that I took care of any other medical expenses that her dog needed for the rest of it's life! Of course I didn't agree, so she threatened to call the police. The police must have told her that they don't deal with dog fights, so she called the agricultural and fisheries people instead, and lied and told them that my dog had attacked her! Somehow, she must have got a medical certificate, and the agricultural and fisheries people have sent me a letter saying that I need to hand my dog over to them, and that i need to be fined $10000HKD, and go to jail for 3 months!!!! oh my god! I am an expat here, and had to go through this because a chinese local wanted money from me! I have about 10 days to hand in my dog, otherwise they have a warrant thing to break into my home! Can anyone suggest anything to me? I don't have any foreign friends here in HK that can help, and the majority of locals think my dog is dangerous coz it's big! My German Shepherd was trained by a very professional centre, and also by a famous dog trainer in HK. My dog is the offspring of a Police Dog and a Show Dog, and has a very good bloodline. It has a good temperament and won't even harm my pet hamster! PLEASE HELP!!!

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
F100 13 yrs ago
There is a dog organization called HK dog rescue.

The organization rehomes dogs.

It is run by an expatriate lady - Sally, who is very knowledgeable.

Perhaps, you can talk to her and ask for some advice.

She's also on facebook and has her own blog.

http://www.hongkongdogrescue.com/public/index.php

If you can afford it, I agree with Cara, consult a lawyer.

Devon 13 yrs ago
Typical. Pathetic locals who have no knowledge of dogs and always wanting money from what they perceive as "rich expats." And as for the Ag Dept's attitude. Apart from the "medical certificate" where's the proof the Shepherd "attacked" the Chihuahua?

Isabelle, contact the HK dog trainer who knows the dog and also the breeder and see how that goes.

What an awful situation.

HongKongDogRescue 13 yrs ago
Please do contact me as I can tell you what the legal situation is and what rights you have. Sally@hongkongdogrescue.com

Devon 13 yrs ago
Probably a waste of time responding to this thread now because it was posted 32 days ago and then the owner had 10 days to hand the dog over. So one could assume the owner of the German Shepherd no longer has the dog and hasn't updated readers on the situation, unless it's still ongoing?

Devon 13 yrs ago
I agree.

Susan hSu 13 yrs ago
Dies anyone know the outcome. As a dog owner, unfortunately you are completely 100 percent responsible for your dogs behavior and it's irrelevant what size the dog is. You need to train your dog to respond to your commands and letting your dog bite another dog is enabling the dog to think it can do that in public. Sorry that it happened but we do need to take responsibility.

isabelle 13 yrs ago
well...susan...so u are saying, if u were attacked by an armned robber, and u attack back...U ARE THE UNREASONABLE ONE??? damn! stupid ppl give stupid comments, don't they!? sorry if it sounds mean, but we do need to take responsibility of what we say! apologies...

Devon 13 yrs ago
Don't tell me you're comparing canine behaviour with the behaviour of humans. Susan is completely correct in saying owners are responsible for the behaviour of their dogs.

Er...speaking of "stupid ppl give stupid comments"...you've done exactly that!

katjamp 13 yrs ago
I am guessing the dog is still alive.... see: http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/dogwalkers-and-pet-owners/threads/113081/owning-a-dog-in-hong-kong?/

isabelle 13 yrs ago
Nice to see some people are nice and helpful, but some just post useless comments. The German Shepherd has been put down already. He was found guilty of attacking the effing local chinese bitch when all the dog did was protect itself from her effing chihuahua! i've also had to pay a lot in compensation, to the woman, her dog, and settle the lawyer's fee! RIP my little Tomato~

BumpyDog 13 yrs ago
Sorry to hear about your dog, that's sad.

But what were you thinking of, allowing a German Shepherd to fight a chihuahua? Seriously?

lil mo 13 yrs ago
isabelle,

Can you explain what race has to do with this? Can't see why it's a "locals vs expats" thing that you seem to be going on about.

Probably not long before someone hits "Report Abuse" as some of your comments are, well, racist.

Ed 13 yrs ago
Warning issued - racist comment deleted...

Why I Hate Racism - by Ed

I hate racism because I am a logical person. And being a logical person I find it illogical to hate someone because of the colour of their skin, language they speak or religion they practice.

That is because I have traveled to many interesting places around the world... met many different people from different backgrounds... and did not want to kill them.

Because many of them were very nice people - yes even the ones who didn't have white skin... many ... no actually most... of them were quite friendly and helpful.

So being logical I concluded that I would be kind to people who are kind to me... and I would have no time for the people who did not show The Kindness to me...

And wherever I go I find many people who show The Kindness... and usually very few who show The Evil ... particularly when I show The Kindness to them...

Now I do not think about the colour of the skin... I prefer to judge people on The Kindness...

Please show The Kindness to others who seek The Help... otherwise... I am using The Ban....

Thanks... thanks a lot

The End

Amparo Kia 13 yrs ago
(sigh!!!) really sad to hear the GS has been put down, these can all be avoided in the first place, i hope the story can serve as a lesson to other dog owners, dogs will always be dogs and they are by nature wild, it is the responsibility of dog owners to restraint the behaviour of our pet, the sad fact is the dog doesn't know he will be handed down the dead penalty because he has bitten someone or some other dogs...their fate is basically decided by their human parents

globaltraveler 13 yrs ago
This is really pissing me off!! Put down a innocent dog because of some stupid arrogant behaviour of a selfish ignorant person!!!What about the small dog owner???Her behaviour that she didnt listen??You should have brought it out of hk!!! HK is all about money disgusting!! I hope I am soon out of this terrible place!! Its animal rights are unexeptable!! somebody should go to the world press with this!! I am living in a pet friendly area where 50% of the dog owners really care 100% about their pets but the rest is unexeptable.I also got almost attacked and bitten by a small dog and the owner didnt care at all I just got away so I dont have to pay money someone because I yell at them !!Getting themselves expensive status breed dogs which are not suitable for this climate and then letting them die in the heat at home because they to stupid to run the aircon or not bringing any water for them to drink outside!!Locking them up in cages at home or in the stores!! This is stoneage!! HK should introduce a licence for people who want to own a pet here!! And have proper pet stores with international standarts!! I am so sorry for your loss..It should have been prevented!!

doggy 13 yrs ago
I think isabelle not honest with us. 25 days ago dog was put down, 16 days ago all was well:

Posted by isabelle (26 days ago)

[ Message | Report Abuse ]

You can counter-claim! Seriously! Go and see a doctor, and tell the doc that the woman caused u stress, and now u are afraid to walk your dog, or tremble when u see a woman on the streets! like i said before, something similar happened to me, but luckily, i got a doctor's note, and so i was able to counter-sue. after that, i wasn't bothered by anyone. if u still need a lawyer, i can get u in touch with one. the lawyer is "cheung mo's (long-hair's) lawyer. he is crazy, and will help u without doubt.

osted by isabelle (16 days ago)

[ Message | Report Abuse ]

dog haters should not post anything here, coz it's not helpful! u're just causing more stress for the guy with all your stupid opinions! there are reasons to everything, so that's why dogs bite! it's called cause and effect! duh! and no...dogs cannot be put down in HK for biting! i've checked with a lawyer and the AFCD already!

globaltraveler 13 yrs ago
Its nice to see so many animal lovers in this town :O)) they are the nicer people

prinoon 11 yrs ago
I am a dog lover and owner of 3 big size Multibreed. Recently, my dogs are being home quarantine by AFCD over a complain of minor bite incident. I am very worry about my dogs and wish to do my best to protect them. Your recommendation of a good lawyer would be very helpful. Is it by law they cannot put down a dog for biting in HK? Or under what circumstances they can.

Bepo 11 yrs ago
Hi prinoon, this whole thread does not seem right. As you yourself have just stated, your dogs have been home quarantined by the AFCD over a complaint of a bite incident. I would imagine this would be the first part of any process Isabelle's German Shepherd would be subjected to. There is no mention of this. I suggest you contact Sally at Hong Kong dog rescue. This is the only sensible piece of advice I have found on this thread.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad