Advice for employer

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Inni2013 11 yrs ago
There are so many legal help non-profit organizations to help domestic helper when they have problems. Yet I've never heard where to get legal advice or help for employers of domectic helper should they have any problem.

Anybody can help me here?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Sapphire 11 yrs ago
I don't know of any specific organisation to give legal advice to employers of domestic helpers, but depending on what your problem is, try asking immigration or the labour department for advice ...

Alternatively, if you can be a bit more specific with what your problems actually are, then someone here might be able to point you in the right direction ...

Inni2013 11 yrs ago
I'm having a prob with my now ex-helper who just resigned 2 days ago. She was stealing twice and then run away. I didn't officially report to the police but when she came to me to pick her stuffs up she brought police officers so that I could report to them. The helper got a warning letter. Now whe's with a volunteer organisation for helper. Perhaps she's going to suit me. Just getting ready for this case, should I need some legal advice/help, where can I get it? Is there any lawyer specially for cases like this?

I'm relatively new in Hong Kong and already got in a to big trouble like this. I'm totally lost, not knowing what my rights are as an employer. Considering that in Hong Kong domestic helpers are really protected by all kind of law but not us the employers. It seems so unfair.

Susie1 11 yrs ago
Firstly still report her stealing,and how she left to the Imm dept. they may have a track record of the length of times she has worked with previous employers, often short lengths of contract equals trouble.

Did you know any previous employers of this helper, you could ask them if she stole anything from them.

Many helpers are very streetwise, and think they know what they can get away with. There are many employers who just get rid of thieves without ever reporting the theft to the police, it may only be petty stuff or sometimes large stuff, but they effectively let them get away with it, to carry on thieving their way round HK.

There are I must add to be fair genuine helpers who are abused, sometimes physically, by employers, but I think the ones who take the Mick and run off to the refuge because they have been caught steeling far out number the genuine ones. The Imm department should be able to give you advice, and maybe someone who can help your case.

I am sure that somewhere on this forum, there must have been lots of employers like you seeking help, and there may be some organisation to help, Perhaps you could put in a search on this forum for older threads,about helpers like yours, the search bar is just above where you sign in at the top left, or hopefully someone more knowledgable will come online.

In the meanwhile if you can know of any of her formers employers, contact them, and ask why she left them, Good Luck.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad