MAID RESIGNS AFTER 6 DAYS

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by mdap 11 yrs ago
Our new helper resigned after 6 days, I am not upset as in that time she lied and admitted this, broke and damaged several items and was completely useless i.e. not even knowing what Cif used for and leaving the dog food open so the dogs at almost half a bag of food before vomiting!! What I want to know is after just 6 days am I liable for her airfare back to the Philippines and one month's salary?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Justice4all 11 yrs ago
You should report this to her agent as well as the Philippine embassy to see what they recommend. The agent is usually responsible for handling the money issues in a situation like this while the embassy typically makes a record of helpers who frequently break contracts and act in an unprofessional way so it can be prevented the next time. Good luck.

Cluck 11 yrs ago
Unfortunately, yes you are still liable for ticket back to her place of origin - transport fee (normally 100hkd per day of travelling) and months salary.

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
If she quit then she owes YOU one month's salary under the Labour Law which by the way applies to both sides and to ALL nationalities! Many people forget this....

If she is Philipino there is a new zero placement fee and she owes nothing for placement under this new law. There will b man instances of this type of helper who comes, realizes they aren't up to it, thought coming to HK to work would be a lark and quit. Unfortunately, you are be liable for air fare and travel fee home (read your green contrat)and also new placement fees should you decide to hire again.

Good luck

mdap 11 yrs ago
Thanks, spoke to immigration and Philippine consulate who incredibly commented "oh her again" ! As she quit with immediate effect she technically owes me one month salary and I owe her a one way ticket to Manila - so actually the maid will lose out. I will however not press her for a month's salary but will offset this against her cost of an airline ticket .... these people need to learn a job in HK is not a holiday for them - they come in to our lives, disrupt our families then behave like children ..... thanks

Justice4all 11 yrs ago
I feel really bad for you mdap. I lived in the Philippines for 3 years and saw the same exact thing happen at the Japanese and Korean boarding houses I taught at over and over again. Many uneducated/unskilled Filipinos were hired as maids (men and women), but after realizing there was real work involved they would run to another province to never be heard from again, often with some of their employer's possessions or money.

If you don't want to be further cheated by this problematic helper, I would recommend giving her a non-refundable airplane ticket in case she is scamming you for the money or plans to stay in Hong Kong as an over-stayer. Beyond that, we have to hope the authorities are doing their job of preventing girls like her from over-staying their 2-week visitor visa.

I wish you better luck next time in finding a good helper.

cucehk 11 yrs ago
Now a days, many helpers will easily break thier contract due to PH government stop the agency regarding placement thats makes them easily quite and go then ask some extra money such as one month lieu notice and air fare. Not seroius with the job as they are not paying any placement fee and what ever happen employer will give them air fare going back to PH. Now a days most of the helpers are playing the employers and Agency. So be careful in chosing the maid. Some of them they will extend thier visa for 2 months and they are doing some partime job.

punter 11 yrs ago
Were you a good employer Mdap? I mean, did you let her eat 3 times a day, did she have her own bed/room? What kind of environment and tasks were given to her? How about the amount of time of work? And what kind of training did you give her?

It's a hassle to both parties, and costly too.

I asked those questions because in a story, I believe that there are always two sides...the other side of this story was untold. I also don't believe that helpers who come here didn't spend a huge amount to the recruiters. It's just difficult to believe.

mdap 11 yrs ago
I have lived in hk 19 years ... I have had many domestics overr the years some good some not, just like any staff hire. This particular maid was paid a starting salary of 4500pm pkus government food allowance and has her own maids room complete with own bathroom and toilet and own fridge, tv and radio. She quit after six days because it was apparent she expected to get paid for doing no work. Any maid thay cannot do basic chores despite telling an employer she can cannot expect to remain employed for long. I offered her the chance to stay ... even after she admitted lying as I thiught she was deserving of a chance ... she agreed .. then next day resigned again. So PUNTER you can take the hugh moral ground but my view is that domestic helpers need to realise this is a job .. not a free meal ticket.

punter 11 yrs ago
Thanks for the clarification. Any other reason that she might have resigned?

The expression "it was apparent she expected to get paid for doing no work" is pretty conclusive but what proof do you have of that? You know, it's just difficult to comprehend.

Susie1 11 yrs ago
mdap, I knew an FDH just like yours, her name began with Na--y, she used to work for my next door neighbour, but after she left them, she seemed to go on a 'work dodge career', either tendering her notice, or being fired- after only days or weeks of employment. She knew employers would mostly have to pay her when she left them, and she also knew she would get more time in Fils.with a free air ticket every few weeks.

I met her once in Central, she had been fired again, and was just on her way to an interview,big smile on her face, she could put on the charm when required, but was as dodgy as hell, she also belonged to some 'christian' group, what a liar she was!!!

I expect your FDH maybe was one of these work dodgers, you are well rid of her.

What annoys me with dishonest people like N---y, is that she was allowed to keep doing this, surely there must be a record of people who dodge work for a career, and they shouldn't be allowed to keep working in HK.

mdap 11 yrs ago
Yes, Church on Sunday, Lie Monday to Saturday .... It should be their motto!

mdap 11 yrs ago
Yes I agree ... I have also had very good helpers over the past 15 years ... but in the past couple of years the overall quality has declined ...

AaliyahM 11 yrs ago
I don't think the quality has declined. It's more demand is greater than supply in the last few years.

Helpers can now choose employers. For me, when they hear I have three kids, they don't want to know. My friend wanted to employ a "fresh" helper from Indonesia but even she declined after knowing that my friend is pregnant with her second.

My ex helper resigned despite a 5k per month salary, an annual trip home to Indonesia (as a bonus from me), a one month's salary on her birthday and many more red packets for various occasions. She left us for an easier job with her ex employer.

It makes me really, really scared now about hiring helpers. My new one just started and I'm not even thinking about her capabilities, I'm so desperate that I can only pray that she won't leave!

This is reality.

I was upset with my ex helper but at the back of my mind, she's like the rest of us. She wants an easier job.

shoeilamb 11 yrs ago
I think our immigration dept should do a lot more to stop the part time domestic helpers. Some domestic helper found a way to sign a green contract and work for part time which earn HKD20000+ a month. That's why we feel there is not a lot of experienced helpers in the market.

furniture hunter 11 yrs ago
I say good luck to anyone if they can get a better paid job elsewhere or better working conditions - Are you telling me you wouldn't opt for a 20K job if you were only getting paid 5K?? - No brainer really......

Tutu123 11 yrs ago
Hi Susie1, why don't you write her full name rather than "Na--y" so that we can all try to avoid hiring her. Thank you.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad