use helper agency or go solo?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bananaboat 13 yrs ago
Hi

I am looking at the option of hiring a full time helper but wanted some advice since i'm a novice at this? Is it advisable to use an agency as oppose to privately applying a visa for her . Is this advisable and what type of paperwork is involved ? If we hire without an agency's help, is there a probation period in case things don't work out?

Lastly if there's anyone out there who has a highly recommendd helper that needs a job? Can you pass her details to me ?

Thanks

J

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
axptguy38 12 yrs ago
You must use an agency unless the helper is in country and has ended her contract (not broken it). I would would recommend you use an agency if it is your first time. A good agency shouldn't charge more than 3000-4000 for finding a helper and doing the paperwork.

Having said that, the paperwork isn't that hard to do yourself. You just pick up the contract at Immigration and fill it in plus add the specified documentation, then submit it. Then it depends on the nationality as various countries require paperwork to be filled out at the respective consulate. And don't forget the medical exam.

There are no probation period but since there are no real barriers to termination, a probation period would be pointless. That is, you can fire your helper at any time anyway.

bananaboat 12 yrs ago
thanks for the tip... if i sign a contract privately without an agency and we decide that she is not suitable, do we pay for her air ticket back home and are there any other costs involved ? can she claim compensation for unfair dismissal if i decide to release her on the basis of just being unsuitable or incompatilbility ?

axptguy38 12 yrs ago
The transportation obligations do not change if you hire privately or use an agency. You owe her for transportation to and from the place of work (at the beginning and end of the contract) regardless of whether you break the contract or not. Note it is not just airfare. It is door to door transportation (flight, ferry, taxi, bus, train, whatever) including a food allowance if the trip is long enough.

If you dismiss her you must pay one month's wages. If you do that she cannot claim compensation. However you may fire her without notice/payment if she:

"- wilfully disobeys a lawful and reasonable order;

- misconducts herself;

- is guilty of fraud or dishonesty or

- is habitually neglectful of his/her duties."

Point 2, on misconduct, is pretty fuzzy. In general I would recommend just paying the month's wages and moving on.

There's a book called "Hiring and Managing Domestic Help" which I recommend you buy. You can find it in most bookstores, as well as at CitySuper, Bumps to Babes and so forth.

bananaboat 12 yrs ago
Dear axptguy38

you are a star for taking the time to advise me. I will definently go buy the book first before i dive headfirst into problems !

thanks !

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad