Want to hire a break-contract helper

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by KFHK 11 yrs ago
Over many months I've been chatting with a neighbor DH and have heard a little about her niece who works in HK. She's been with her employers for 9 months and is in tears most days because of how mean they are to her and how hard she is worked. She has to work from 5am to 10pm, is not allowed to answer her phone and is yelled at. She also doesn't like that there is a camera in the house and makes her feel uneasy. She doesn't get a full day off a week, usually only a few hours on one day (not usually Sunday, it'll be Saturday afternoon this week) and is understandably exhausted.

I would like to interview her as I'm looking for a helper but if she needs to give a month's notice and then go home to process papers, it might be too long for me to wait as I have no helper right now and need to work!

If she quits due to mistreatment, is it a faster process? Would she just have to make a sworn statement saying she is overworked and not allowed to take a full day off each week and can't handle it anymore and then switch straight over to working for me with minimal downtime?

I really like her aunt and trust her truthfulness. I've known her for the 2 years or so we've been neighbors and she's a brilliant helper. Would it be naïve to think her niece could be just as good?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
Maybe interviewing in an agency is better? At least you have choices there at the same time there's no prior "emotional" attachement (as you know her aunt). It sometimes brings complications.

If you're set on hiring this girl, it takes about 2-3 months to process. (1 month notice, then 2-3 months before she can come back to HK).

Marilyn Alyao 11 yrs ago
She can actually leave her employers house right away as long as she pays the employer of her one month salary if she wants to works for you. Or she can wait until her pay day and not get the money and leave the employers house.

She can actually exit to macau and wait for her new visa. You can pay for an urgent visa then she's back in less than a month. Maybe even after a week

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad