How To File Official Complaint Against Domestic Helper

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Hong Kong Fred 14 yrs ago
I loaned a domestic helper $1500 HKD in May 2009. She was desperate for money to pay her agency fee for employment in Hong Kong. If she could not come up with the money, she would have to return to the Philippines. It's now March 2010 and the domestic helper is happily employed, but refuses to pay me back the money. She will not answer my calls or text messages. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to file an official complaint against a domestic helper, such as with the Philippine Consulate, Hong Kong Immigration, or the Hong Kong Police? It's not the money, it's the girls arrogant attitude that bothers me.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
cookie09 14 yrs ago
do you have something in writing?

Susie1 14 yrs ago
Unless you got her to sign for the loan, stating specifically what the loan was for, with an independant witness present, I don't think you will 'have a leg to stand on" with any authorities. She will just deny to them she ever had a loan from you, and get away with it. I'm sorry that you lent it in good faith, but lots of these helpers know how they can get away with things.

axptguy38 14 yrs ago
I'll chime in with Susie1. Walk away. It is very unlikely you will ever see the money.

itsmeinhk 14 yrs ago
If you have no signed paper from her, then there is not much you can do.

You can maybe tell her you'll go and see her employer... but you have no proof so I don't think you'll get it back....

Hong Kong Fred 14 yrs ago
Thanks to all who replied. I have threatened the helper with paying a visit to the employer. The helper knows I don't know the exact address. The only thing I have is a deposit slip to her bank account.

girlsoon 14 yrs ago
i agree with u beancurd

Wiz Bang 14 yrs ago
it wouldn't hurt to also try sending a copy to the Philippine Consulate

souffleQueen 14 yrs ago
I'm afraid reporting the case to the Consulate or Immigration would only result to the same answer : It's personal, therefore they can't do something about it.

I, too have lent 10grand to a friend who is also a domestic helper. Lent to her after please to bail her out as her passport was used as a collateral to a loan shark who charged her 15% per month.

She earned extra from doing manicure/pedicure and massages in the area and during holidays. In fact, over the years I was like her walking ATM. She was able to pay up her many loans before. To cut it short, Wanchai lifestyle and boyfriend led her astray. She was fired, found new employer, changed her phone thus, I have no means of contacting her anymore.

I did go and seek assistance to the Consulate but they could only confirm that she is still in HK but cannot divulge her contacts and address per Personal Data Privacy protection which is understandable. I was advised to make claim to Small Claim Tribunal.

I have as proof a paper she signed stating she owes me the money dated August 2008 with a promise to pay up by Nov. 2009. Which was accepted.

For my claim for my trench coat, digitaL camera and leather (knee high ) boots that costs over 3000, her text messages saying when she would return them to me was declined.

Small claim tribunal is your best way, but you have to consider the cost to be incurred and the time.

souffleQueen 14 yrs ago
Beancurd, in a sense, yes. But if I think about it I have more peace of mind now. No one comes knocking on my door in the middle of the night with money woes, calling me up for fashion advise and borrowing my clothes/shoes/bags when she has a hot date, etc.

I was more than happy to write it off--as a rule, any money out I never expected it to be back- what piss*d me off was when she has the gall to tell me no one can force her to pay up. True, not that force was something I had in mind -- I can read and understand and knows the legal way. Any money to be recovered is already pledge to my charity --After School Project.

hardy george 11 yrs ago
I also had a full time maid a filipino so called very good at work and child minding . This maid dont know where she has come from . She always stuck on mobile always . Even while giving shower to kid or anywhere and work wise and childminding was the worst. Off all she also did illegal acts in our residence. My child and family suffered due to this lady she harrased us to the max. Such people should never be given a chance to work when they are not dedicated towards work . Yes being good to them was the bad part i guess. And employers we think when we go to work maids do good job but i have seen many walk with the phone than taking care of kids or elderly . Hongkong government should take serious act on this matter. We people believe and leave our family members. This lady threatened my little one and was always with her friend and also the other maid wooed to my house . Worst experience. The wrong part i did was i forgot to take them to police . How there is a labour dept i think time has come some help should be provided from govt for employers they just take advantage and mint money from us for their misbehaviour which is not justified.

hardy george 11 yrs ago
And previous employers give a honest opinion so that many families dont suffer due to the release letter. And immigration dept should not allow these kind of people again when they are unfit for work . Agencies do help them to get work but pls because of this many families suffer . Recommend people who are good and dedicated and break contracts employers please dont entertain they have lot of excuses to sign and once u sign they sit on ur head .

cucehk 11 yrs ago
For my side I do hope immigration will take an action regarding that issue, some helpers are really not doing good / mis behaviour/ lending money from outside and left the house once they got the money. My suggestion write the letter and send to HK immigratio n FDH section with full details / contact no. to avoid them coming back to HK and mess again

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad