Can a helper break her contract?

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by punter 14 yrs ago
Yes, a helper can break her contract. It basically means she can pre-terminate her contract with the employer or vice versa.

The helper/employer can give a month's notice by writing a formal letter to the employee/employer copying the labor department and the immigration department. Although some just give the termination letter to the helper and keeps a copy, while the helper usually gives copies to the Dept of Labour and the Immigration Dept.

The terminating party can either wait out the notice period (1 month) or pay in cash the penalty (one month's salary worth).

Usually, after the effectivity of the resignation/termination the helper will report to the immigration department and usually (again) given 2 weeks of stay (visa). The helpers are then free to do anything they like during this time.

Hope that helps.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
kenwin 14 yrs ago
During the interview process you might check their visa status. I didn't think that Indian was one of the nationalities allowed to get a FDH visa in HK. I might well be wrong though. And just as the FDH can terminate her/his contract with the existing employer the same can happen to you if they are not happy. Best to find out exactly why they are unhappy, and talk to existing employer if possible. There are several good references you should check on the Immigration and Labour Depts websites regarding employment of FDHs. Good luck.

shoeilamb 11 yrs ago
always choose someone who finish contract. They can make up a story how harsh their life with the previous employers. I made few mistakes by giving too much sympthy to them.

Susan Duffy 11 yrs ago
Hi Cara

I'm in a similar position and have sent you a PM asking for any advice - hope you get the message.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad