Not renewing helper's contract

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Deadly60 11 yrs ago
Our helper's 2 year contract is up for renewal this summer. I do not wish to renew as I haven't been entirely happy with her service, but not so unhappy that I would terminate her employment - just niggly things really.

Would I need to give her the usual month's notice that I don't wish to renew? Also, I would want her to vacate the house prior to my returning home for the summer, which would be a month earlier than the end of her contract. Obviously I would pay her up to the end, but am I technically allowed to ask her to leave before the end of the term?

Any advice welcome. Thx.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
That's nice of you to think of her future work prospects. Maybe you can give her a month of paid vacation (or you can think that way). Then technically she's still your employee until the end.

Chillihead 11 yrs ago
You can ask her to leave before contract is up but you may need to treat it like a termination just to be safe.

Susie1 11 yrs ago
Yes you can ask her to leave before your holidays, just tell her that you will not be renewing her contract.

You have to inform Immigration within 7 days of her leaving your home(not after her contract should have ended),and she must not stay more than 2 weeks in HK after you have terminated her.

If she is willing to work the months notice you give her, you could allow her to go for interviews on certain days you agree upon. She may possibly be a little miffed about you wanting to end her contract early.

To cover your back, make sure that she knows she will be paid until the last day on her contract as a favour from you, make sure she has a one way ticket to her home country, with travel expenses of 100 hkd for food for each day of travel if the journey may take 2 days, all above written down and witnessed by a non-helper, and signed for by her.

If her skills are not too great you can give her a simple type of reference, e.g. worked from to, if any skills are good you can mention them.

Take any keys belonging to you before she leaves, and if you are not sure about her honesty, have the locks changed before you go on holiday, as she will know the place is going to be empty.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad