Helper issues.... please help

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by bsc1280 11 yrs ago
Hi there

we are a family of four and have 2 kids (6 & 2 years old). My wife is a SAHM and helps with the household chores. we have tried 2 helpers from philipines and the it did not work out too well.

The second one today told me that she was to go back (although I think she found another employer with no SAHM and no kids)

she worked with us for 9 months and has been telling lies right from the start, (havibg a brother in consulate, refusing to pay her agency fees etc). anyways I ignored all of that as she worked fine and I realize that with 2 kids our workload is more than the average HK home. she starts at 6 am when my elder kid needs to get ready from school and normally finish off 9:30is. With 1-2 hour break in between. anways

given our experience, I am now thinking about trying other nationalities as filipionos seem to have a lot of "good friends" to tell them how the can find a better employer with no kids on a sunday

I really want to try sri Lankan helpers, Please can you let me know about any agencies which specialize or deal with srii Lankan helpers, Indonesian/Nepalese will be my second choice

I would really appreciate your helper here

thanks a lot

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
bsc1280 11 yrs ago
Thats a very unfair comment

They get 2 hours off around noon

And it's not like she has to take them to 5 extra curricular classes or etc

A majority of the day is playtime with the kids

We pay above minimum slalary and all holidays off

I Wantinto try Sri lankan Indonesian based on the comments on the forums

Can anyone recOmmend any agency please

bob the builder 11 yrs ago
anyways....,

I don't think it is the employee that is the problem.

It won't matter what country the helper is from if this is how they are treated, of course, they will leave emplyment such as this. Cannot believe there are employers that do not give at least one day off in a week.

bsc1280 11 yrs ago
I never said we don't give one day off

What's wrong guys!

we give all Sundays off , significantly above min salary , free choice of food

But yes the workload is more than a household without kids

Again, any agencies anybody knows off

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1227023/scrap-live-rule-maids-say-advocacy-groups

Your red flag is is that you've had 2 girls who have tried and failed to finish a contract. Instead of changing nationalities, you should consider hiring a second local part time to help you out. It seems the burden of work for your household is too much or there must be another reason why. Enough food, sleep, communication a problem? Privacy issues? Can't finish all the tasks given in the day so they need to stay up late even though you have said It's OK.

Still they will have to do it the next day on top of everything else, so many will just stay up to finish.... Perhaps lower your expecations of the level of hygiene in your home. Ask yourself, if I was the only one cleaning would it be good enough for me or must it be pristine?

You are now giving a regular work day of 15.5 ish hours and say that the real working time is closer to 13. Do you work 13 hours a day 6 days a week? (besides you must also live with your employer)

Good luck

Xshoequeen 11 yrs ago
I would think twice before letting nationalities judge but, do agree that Philipines people have their own quirk, difference of cultures I guess. you'll have it in each nationality. I think it is the employer's challenge to understand these difference and try to overcome or drive it in a better power.

I would consider communication and chemistry priority as it would be a disaster if you and the helper cannot communicate and you will be living with this person in the same house.

Also, I would make sure your next helper does not mind SAHMs. I am a SAHM as well and just to let you know, 2 ladies in the house might cause friction ( not saying anything negative about your wife). Some helps do mind SAHM as they "feel" like they are monitored. Our helper and I discuss a lot about this point and try to figure out what's best for each other.

I think the workload is not an issue as different households have different times. Your house is not the only one that has that working hours, actually, I often hear worse than your workload but, at the same time, I think these families do think of the compensations and keep the work load, compensation balance at strike.

piyualka 11 yrs ago
I don't think workload is an issue. According to me very few families iwth no kids employ full time helpers.. If you like your present helper, talk to her and sort out the issues. If you are looking for other helpers..there are many Srillankans or others...who advertize on this website both as part-timers or are seeking full term employment. Part-timers you can call them and aske if any of their friend is seeking for fullterm job....I call it social capital...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad