Firing Helper 2 weeks into the job

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by sandracg 11 yrs ago
My new indonesian maid arrived last Sunday. She's only 22. She was too far from my expecations. She is hardworking and very obedient, very eager to learn but I felt that she is very slow in learning and lacks of common sense. We need to teach her 3-4 times for a simple task. I even have procedures and instructions written in Indonesian for her but seems like she has problem comprehending them.

In her biodata, she stated her cooking is good and she has 2 years of working experience in Singapore with cooking as one of her main duties. But I found out that she cannot cook at all. She cannot even fry a green vegetable and had to ask me to help her check if it is cooked. Then I asked if she cooks during her past job in Singapore. She then told me her employer "helps" her in the cooking. So I asked if she learned any of it during her 2 year employment period. She told me she has forgotten all of it. She gave me a lot of other surprises like soaking the floor cloths and table cloths together, turning on the washing machine the day after she has just washed a full load of clothes when there are only a few pieces of clothes and obvsiouly the clothes hanging area are fully occupied, serving us burning hot soup in a bowl full.

She doesnt appear like she has worked before especially not in Singapore. She said she spoke Malay with her employers back in singapore but when i told her i will speak to her in Malay, she told me she can only understand a little (when both the indonesian and malay language is similar)

Both my husband and I work and we do not have family in Hong Kong. Main reason for hiring this maid is to look after our 16 month old toddler while we are at work which means she will be alone with my child at home.

Right now, I have my mom here and a part-time maid that has worked for me for 4 weeks. Both of them are trying to teach her but she's very slow in learning.

I think she has a capability problem.

My part-time maid on the other hand is very capable and she's able to handle my difficult toddler.

I am really thinking, if my new maid has such little wisdom and dont even have much common sense, would she be able to manage my child with just sheer obedience?

The only reason of keeping her is out of symphathy. I really pity her as I know such maids borrowed a lof of money to come here. She is already in an 18K debt where she needs to give away 3000 from her salary every month to the agent for the next 6 months. I think she would need to pay another hefty agent fee if the agency finds her a new employer. I blame it all on the unscrupulous agent. They shouldnt have gotten this girl to accept my job given her capability.

I have only 1 week to decide whether to keep her or to hire my part-time as my part-time will be signing a full-time contract with a new employer in a week's time.

Anyone has any thoughts to share with me?

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
Sorry to hear your predicament. It's just tough for both of you.

Housework shouldn't be a problem as she can learn as time pass. Caring for a young child is a different matter altogether.

If you want to help this girl, you may need to keep her while employing another helper...Your helper's passport might say she's 22 but in reality she might be a lot younger.

Nde 11 yrs ago
I've worked in Singapore for 8 years for 1 master, 4 years in saudi (1 employer) and worked in Hong Kong almost 10 years

People often think that Indonesian with the Malay language is the same.

when in fact it is not true at all ..

Every new helper came from Indonesia must pay $ 21,000 to agentcy despite government regulations only pay $ 15,000

If you really want interminete helper ..do it the sooner the better because really pitty for the maid.

Although she has worked more than 7 months and already paid her debt to agentcy .. then he need to pay again for 4 months agentcy salaries if the employer interminete ..

And please .. give it to the helper interminete money ..you should not be given directly to agentcy because agentcy usually will not give your money to your helper

And give reasons intermete letter that might be easier for her to find a new employer again.

But if you want to give a chance to work for you helper ..

then give at least 2 months so that she can understand and skilled with the situation ..

Average new helper takes time to get to know her new home(country)

Goodluck

sandracg 11 yrs ago
Thanks for all your replies.

Hi Nde, why do u say the sooner the better to terminate her?

Anyone knows if there is a way for the terminated helper to find a new employer without needing to pay the agent fee?

I mean it is not the helper's fault for getting terminated. It is because the job does not suit her capability. Iit is the agent's fault.

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
sandracg

I am very curious why you think it is the agent's fault? Did they choose her for you? Did they lie to you about her abilities? Indonesians pay alot up front because the government sets the fees. I think it is $15,000 to them, so the rest is to the agency. But not sure, except I know it is a heft amount.

BTW, IMHO 2 weeks isn't long enough to gauge someone's ability to do a job. She doesn't know you and you don't know her. If you want to help her to find another job, give her 30 days notice and she can start to find another employer right now. Then she has another 2 weeks after the 30 days are up, so that is a total of 6 weeks. That is probably the best thing you can do for her outside of giving her more time to learn your household. good luck

sandracg 11 yrs ago
Hi hkwatcher,

I blame it on the agent because she recommended this girl to me knowing very well the requirements of my job. Both my husband and I work. Our helper in mind will need to tend to our child alone at home. This person will need to be independant. And she needs to know how to react to situation. The agent was selling this girl hard and told me since she has 2 years working experience in Singapore, she has all the basics already. Plus, it was stated in her biodata her cooking skill is "Good" and baby caring skill is "Good". But in fact, she's like a blank piece of paper.

I have hired a maid before. She had similar 2 years working experience in singapore. Just that and nothing else. She knows the basics, can cook simple singaporean food despite only putting her cooking skill as 'fair' in her biodata. She was already independant with my baby (6 months at that time) in the 2nd week I know everyone is different, I am not trying to compare but I'm just trying to put my point straight that there is just something not right with this girl.

We have observed her for 1 week. The longer i see her, the more i realize she has a capability issue. My mom thought her cooking for 4 days. She observed my mom cook for all the 4 days. On day 5, we just asked her to fry a green vege. She burnt it because she did not put oil. When asked, she said she didnt know oil is required. After learning for 4 days cannot even fry a simple vege? She also pours boiling hot water into the plastic water jug.

I showed her in the morning how to make milk for my baby, despite already being told by my mom how to do it and observed for the past week. Plus, i also printed out all the instructions and requirements clearly in indonesian for her. I purposely tell her and showed her again to test her. So i told her i'm pouring in 120ml of water with 4 scoops of milk powder. Then later on, I asked her to prepare 90 ml of milk and ask her how many scoops of milk powder to put in. She said 2.

How I can put my child with this person alone at home?

All this while, we are all very nice to her, we never scolded her or anything in case anyone here would think she was just too nervous because we are scaring her. We give her time and opportunity to learn. My mom was especially patient and my mom can speak english, cantonese and malay. Havent we done everything we can? I do not see that she can become a different person in 1 or 2 months' time. It is her capability issue, she's just not fit.

By the way, is there a difference if i send her right off back to her agent or keep her with me for a month? I mean she can still look for a job while staying at her agency's dorm right?

punter 11 yrs ago
It's tough but you need to think of your family's needs first. You seem to be a good and kind employer

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
sandracg

OK You've convinced me with the not knowing she needs oil to fry a veggie after 2 years of experience! BTW, you ought to cnsider hiring someone more mature the next time you hire. A 22 year old doesnt have much life experiences

Under the law you can release her today by one month's salary and an air ticket. Or one month's written notice with an air ticket. The ticket can be in cash. Just make sure she signs that she has been either paid or given written notice.She can start looking for an employer right away. On the day of her last day working for you, the count down begins and she has 2 weeks to stay here and find another job. Then she MUST leave HK for face severe penalities (jail)

You have 7 days after she leaves your employment to notify the IMD and it can be done with an online form now.

sandracg 11 yrs ago
Thanks Punter & hkwatcher.

Yes, the point everyone stressed on is I should take care of my family needs first. My child's safety and welfare first before anything else.

hkwatcher, looks like if i give her 1 months' notice, then she will have 6 weeks to look for a job. But if I ask her to leave immediately, she would only have 2 weeks to look for a job. Right?

So, if i want to help her, I should give her 1 months' notice so that she can have ample time to look for a new employer.

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
Yes, you are correct re the one month's notice.

Nde 11 yrs ago
hello..forgive me be late reply..

Domestic helper from Indonesia need to pay agentcy $ 21.000.

For Indonesian agentcy $ 6000 and Hong kong agentcy $ 15.000

I said..the sooner the better interminete coz she will pay a fine to agentcy a little bit.

My best friend got interminete from her employer after work for them 23 months and she paid the agentcy 7 months (21.000)

Her agentcy provide a new employer for her and my best friend need to pay agentcy again 4 months of her salaries ($12.000)

If the helper got interminete after work 1 month or 2 months..so she will pay agentcy again $21.000.

But after work 3 months and got interminete..so she pay double a fine to agentcy..

that why..all indonesia helper try very hard to get along with their employer until finish contract because we are afraid need to pay extra a fine to agentcy..

All money from the employer like ticket money,one month notice,salary etc..will not be owned by the helper.The agentcy will take all those money and will say to the helper that those money for prosessing again to get a new employer plus pay fines for how many months again..

Please...Do not be too trusting to agentcy.

They often talk about intelligence helper...and not true all.

ask directly to the helper during the interview and you can judge for yourself of the helper.

I have experience.

When my British employer pass away..my agentcy give prospective a new employer for me..

My agentcy talking weird about my intelligence to a new employer

and this employer is ultimately signed contract with me.

But I dont want sign contract with them.

I tell the truth to this employer who am I..and request them to choose another helper better than me.I dont understand Cantones languange but I can understand English langunge.

I know how to cook Chinesse food.. soup,steam,stir fry etc..

I fear for misunderstanding due to language ..that why I dont want to sign contract..

I also told my agentcy if I could not work with this employer and why agentcy tell LIE about me to this employer..I would like to tell the truth coz HONESTY is very important in an employment relationship

My agentcy get mad and held me upstairs and force me to sign contract with those employer.

I finally sneaked out frm this agentcy and find a new employer from GeoXpat and working with them until now

Agentcy often deceiving employers of domestic helpers.Their mind only HOW TO GET ALOT MONEY

Sometimes Agentcy will call employers or helper and offer whether want to change employer / helper or not.

If they are willing to change .. then agentcy would get alot of money from employer and helper.

Who are victims of domestic helper .. obviously...

Dont trust so much with the agentcy esp big agentcy..

You can help your helper with good referency letter for her to find a new employer..

Usually agentcy will help her with a new employer..they have list about employer looking helper..

But..if the helper want sign contract without agency..she can find employer from internet or friend and you can help her with 1 month notice plus good refency letter...

I've paid agentcy $ 35,000 (21,000 for first contract and $ 14,000 for a new employer after my previous employer moved to Canada and interminute me after work for them 20 months)

Good luck and have a nice day with you and fam..

Nde 11 yrs ago
If you need helper for take care kids/ baby..take helper +30 years old.they are

More patient,mature,love kids and hard working coz they need money

For the future of family.

The young helper find money for shopping,etc and they usually like

to talk back with the employer

sandracg 11 yrs ago
Thanks Nde for your advice. I am sure this agency I'm using is bad. But I do not have other choice but to send her back to them. Can she look for another (better) agent? I mean is it the same for her?

I know my helper now owes the agent 18,000. Does it mean if I fire her before 3 months, she will need to pay another 18,000? Meaning 36,000 in total? And if she find a new employer another 16,000 (4 months salary)? Which means total of 52,000?

Nde 11 yrs ago

She need to pay her agentcy again 7 months of her salary plus interminete's money(air ticket,one month notice,salary,and travel and food allowance go bac to indo)

That why ,I request to you dont give those money to agentcy but to your helper.

But make sure she sign the received

You can download direct interminete paper frm immigration.

She can go to another agentcy as long as she hold her own passport.nowdays alot of helper go to helperIn in Wan Chai coz just pay 3000 to get a new employer or she will not pay 1 cent also to this agentcy as long as she find herself a new employer.

mosman 11 yrs ago
don't believe anything on her bio data! If there is a name there then that name is probably on a 100 other Indonesian helpers bio-data! I had and Indonesian stay with me for 6 months. She was in trouble with immigration. All her data was absolute rubbish! She hadn't a clue who the guy was on her form who gave her a reference! Employ someone with the attitude she knows nothing, then you could be pleasantly surprised! Good luck!

sandracg 11 yrs ago
After teaching and observing her for 2 weeks, I have come to a conclusion that there is something very wrong with her. She's still telling me she doesnt know hos to fry a simple green vege. So 2 days ago, I sat her down and questioned her seriously. I showed her her biodata and asked why the mismatch. I questioned her in detail and asked her where she lived in singapore for 2 years. She told me she has forgotten. That gave her away. I told her you cannot forget the name of the place you have lived in for 2 years. She finally admitted she had not worked in singapore and this is actually her first job. I was really very angry with all these lies from her and the agency. As much as I am angry, I am still helping her. I'm asking her cousin to help her find a new job while I keep her with me still. Now, I will have to look for another new helper and I am not going back to the agency. They are crooks. So mosman, you are right. All data given could be just rubbish. For my case, it is really bad as I require someone who has the basics. I cannot afford to teach a person from scratch especially someone who hasnt even been to the city before.

daffyhk 11 yrs ago
I sympathize cuz I had very similar experience with 26 year old Indonesian helper before who i fired, said she work two years in Singapore too, but still used her hands to eat food,can't use fork nor chopsticks despite she say previous employer Chinese not Malay... Also most ridiculously put my fresh fish in a drawer for 3 days to rot and not the fridge!!! Rinse my flowers from the vase under the faucet....tie my curtains into a big knot....etc. From this conversation of yours now I realize mine must have been false résumé as well!!!! Argh....

sandracg 11 yrs ago
Hi Daffyhk, thanks for sharing. Wah! Putting a fresh fish in a drawer? That is too much. Your helper definitely has not been to the city let alone work in Singapore. I wonder why they cheat on their credentials because experience and knowledge is something that will show in their work, there is no way to cheat this. I also wonder how it can be so common here. Didnt the authorities take action? I am complaining my case to the consumer council.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad