Expensive helper??

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by Weeksa16 11 yrs ago
Hi,

We've just moved to Hong Kong and are starting the search for a helper. I know the minimum wage stipulated however what would be considered expensive in terms of salary? (for a live in helper).

Any help on this topic would be gratefully received.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
Susie1 11 yrs ago
A helper must only live in,against the law for them to live out with big fines, it is best if you can ask around people you get to know for helper recommendations, as an expat who is leaving may try to find their helper (if she has been a good one) an new job before they leave.

Check the HK imm. site for the latest wage minimums, and food allowance, also look at the rules, so you as an employer know what you are taking on. I printed the rules off, and when my ex helper 'tried to bend a few' I was one step ahead of her.

It is better to start a helper on a near minimum wage, and increase it a little when they show consistency and honesty in their work, also keep a fair but firm employer/employee relationship, if you are too lax or friendly there are some helpers who will take advantage of this.

I suggest a medical before employment, to rule out any serious or communicable disease, or pregnancy for the helper. Also after satisfactory medical, to get helper health insurance for them, as employers are liable for all medical costs for the helper.

It is a learning curve to all of a sudden have a strange person, you don't know living in your home, so make sure the helper will respect your privacy.

Weeksa16 11 yrs ago
Thanks for the advice - both responses have been great. We'll take it all on board.

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad