securing DH passport

ORIGINAL POST
Posted by shsteve 11 yrs ago
Hi

I know this will get up some ones nose but I am curious.

I have heard that on hiring a new DH, you should lock her passport up in a box with 2 keys. That way she can not get to it without you knowing and you can not get to it either.

The quest is why restrict her passport? Is to stop her applying for another job?

Empting out your flat and skipping the country?

Does anyone do this?

We are thinking of getting our 1st DH.

Please support our advertisers:
COMMENTS
punter 11 yrs ago
Yes it is illegal to hold what's not yours. If for some reason you're found to have your FDH's passport in your possession (by the police), you're going to be "punished" for it. I don't know what the punishment is.

One reason why you don't want your FDH to have her passport with her is that it can be used to secure a loan (but as mentioned, those doing this are breaking the law yet they continue to do it.)

Sapphire 11 yrs ago
I can understand why some employers may think it's a good idea, when you hear of the odd bad 'story' concerning domestic helpers, but I really do think these are few and far between. Certainly, no one I know has ever considered having to do this, and what gives an employer the right to do it anyway ... how would you feel/react if your employer insisted on taking away your passort and locking it up ... ?

hkwatcher 11 yrs ago
An employer released her helper, but forgot to return the passport she kept. The helper was at the airport before she realized the employer still had her passport.

The employer had to leave work run home, collect the PP and run to the airport in time for the girl to catch her flight.

Lesson learned.....It is also not legal...

< Back to main category

Login now
Ad